25. Antidote

The next day, Aura was in an uproar. Apparently, Remy planned on releasing his album the same day as Alex.

However, Alex seemed to be the one who cared the least. He was confident in his music, and that was all he needed. What he was perturbed about was why Remy and Charles were so honed in on him. Why did they keep looking his way?

He didn't want vengeance anymore. He wanted their attention even less. He just wanted to be free of them.

That night, Alex and Jaxon were in the kitchen cooking while the TV was on. It was a bittersweet meal because Jaxon was leaving late in the night to shoot a film across the country. It was a highly anticipated movie, so everything was kept tightly under wraps. When he leaves, even his phone will be taken away to avoid any information about the filming and set from leaking.

The entire dinner, Jaxon was lamenting about it. He regretted that he accepted the role, but Alex would chide him. Jaxon had wanted to be a part of this film for a couple of years now. The moment there was a hint that it would be filmed, he made Marc work to secure his dream role.

On TV, the host was excitedly interviewing Remy. Alex would flinch when he would hear Remy speaking but was slowly building a tolerance, finding it easier when Jaxon was with him.

However, something caught his attention.

Host: "They anticipated EP of up-and-comer Alex Lee is releasing on the same day as your album. Any words or thoughts about his music?"

Remy: "I haven't thought much about it. I'd rather not waste my time on someone who used his friendship to make it in the music business."

Host: "What do you mean?"

Remy: "How could someone with no background suddenly have all these opportunities without being friends with Jaxon Reid?"

"That son of a bitch!" Jaxon yelled at the TV.

He turned to joke with Alex but felt his heart sink when he saw Alex's state. His entire body tensed and was utterly still.

This entire time, Alex had been fighting an internal war, the past versus the present. But despite his efforts, he kept falling into the memories that threatened to entomb him in darkness. Preston trusted Remy and Charles so much that he stupidly became the sacrificial lamb so they could have his songs. The last moments as Preston haunted him, from the concert where he stood alone to the last kiss on his lips as his blood seeped out of his body.

This was the result of his trust.

Even now, Remy's malicious and harrowing words would constantly echo in his mind, breaking him down and making him meek. He had buried himself so deep in his memories and pain that he believed every admonishing word. He lowered his head, and he cringed. He wanted to live a new life but was still so pathetically trapped in the old one. And worst of all, how many times did he think about Remy? How many times did he compare his past life to the present?

And now, Remy was trying to dismantle him as Alex. He tried to shake and dismiss him. And for a split second, he almost believed it. And he hated that Remy still had a pull on him, even if it was for a fleeting moment.

But the truth of the matter is that Remy could never face him with his own talent - not as Preston and not as Alex. Yet this bastard dared to say that he used his friendship when Remy was sitting on a pile of stolen songs?

He had been licking his wounds and allowing Remy to be ever present in his mind.  But now, all of his pain congealed and turned to wrath.

Fuck Remy.