36. Dandelions

Alex and Hugh kept Remy in the recording studio all day.  He hadn't worked so hard and so long for many years.  Even Preston gave him a break, but not Alex.  Alex had no tolerance for a pitiful performance.  To Remy's horror, he realized that Alex would have to compensate for him, constantly changing his style of singing so it would sync with his.

When Remy tried to harmonize Alex scoffed and told him that he shouldn't bother trying. But it also seemed that Alex knew his voice better than he did.  He predicted what Remy would do and would seamlessly work with him.  It was as if he had worked with him for years. 

The paranoia grew within Remy and he couldn't take his eyes off of Alex.  His subtle movements, they way he sang, even his standards... it was too familiar. 

They finished the song when it was deep in the night.  Remy thought that perhaps he could try to reach out to Alex one more time.

"I know we didn't leave on good terms last time, but I am willing to work together again."  Remy said.

Alex shot him a glare.  "I made my intentions clear."

"Well, let me leave my card if you need my help."  Remy said and held out his card.

Alex snorted and ignored the card.  "I have a feeling if I ever relied on you, I would regret you."

Remy froze and the blood drained from his face. Those words.  'I regret you' were Preston's last words.  He couldn't say anything and Charles had to practically pull Remy out of the studio.  Remy shot a dark look at Alex but didn't say anything.

Alex collapsed on the ground with a groan.  "It's finally over."

He had endured facing the man who killed him, while fighting off the trauma and memories. He was slightly trembling, but he felt proud of himself. He didn't break down. He didn't panic.

Jaxon had to leave in the middle of recording to work on a few things for his movie, but came back in the evening and stayed with them.  Jaxon hated Remy, but enjoyed how Alex toyed with him when singing, paired with all of the creative insults from Hugh.  No sane man would want to work with them again in those conditions.

Jaxon laid down on the floor with Alex and pulled him into his arms.  Alex hummed with  exhausted delight.

"I really dislike that man."  Alex said in Jaxon's chest.

"You should have let Hugh hit him."  Jaxon said, recalling the many times Hugh had threatened.

"No.  Because then we would have had to stop and rerecord everything.  I couldn't handle another day like this.  Now that we're done, Hugh can go find him and have at it."  Alex said with a small chuckle.

Jaxon kissed the top of his head.  "Let's get you something to eat.  Up for a casual date?"

Alex sat up. "Always."

Jaxon grinned and helped him up.  He led them to his car and he took off down familiar roads.  Alex laughed a little when he saw where they ended up.  It was the pizza parlor where they first ate together.

"You took me to heaven again."  Alex said.

"I'm pretty sure I took you to heaven the last couple of nights too." Jaxon said with a wink.

Alex hit his arm playfully and they pulled on hats and a face mask as they walked into the parlor.  It was still busy at this time of night but the lighting was low and there were still seats available. They slid into a booth together and Alex leaned up against Jaxon's shoulder,  trying to suppress his yawns.  Before he knew it, Alex was breathing deeply on Jaxon's shoulder.