40. Way Down We Go

Alex and Amy relaxed for 15 minutes before deciding to go back and working on the dance again. The halls were empty as they headed back and Alex enjoyed to quietness of the practice room. 

Alex warmed up his muscles while Amy was stretching a little. He went to the center of the floor and started his basic footwork, and then slowly started to pick up speed. He completed a couple of spins and then launched himself forward in order to move into a handstand. As he was shifting he noticed the floor beneath him looked different, shinier than usual.  Everything inside of him screamed to avoid it, but could stop his momentum.

He cursed when his hand hit the floor because he could feel his palm glide over a slick clear liquid. He immediately lost balance.  His fall was fast, too fast to adjust himself.  He heard the heavy thud of his head slamming into the ground, and then he was blinded by a flash of white.

He wanted to groan or say something but his mind couldn't formulate the words. Then the white lighted became spotted with black until the black blanketed his vision.

Amy screamed "Alex" and rushed towards him.

Down the hall, Jaxon had made an excuse with the magazine article writers to go for a walk while they conduct the interview.  He was conveniently leading them towards the practice area he knew Alex would be.  He saw Vittoria with her friends giggling and running out of the area.  She faltered when she saw him but gave him a glowing smile and ran off with the others.

He didn't respond or acknowledge her, but turned back to his interviewers and made a couple of jokes to cover up his disdain.  But when he heard someone screaming "Alex", his blood ran cold. Without thinking, he rushed down the hall and found the room Alex was supposed to be practicing in, but froze in front of the door. He saw Alex crumpled on the ground with blood on the ground.

"Alex!" He called out, forcing himself out of his shock, and ran to him.

"He's... he's not waking up." Amy said with a sob.

"Call an ambulance." He ordered. When she was unresponsive he yelled out to her. "Amy! Call an ambulance now!

She trembled and ran back to her phone and started to call.

"Alex... baby... please wake up. You have to wake up for me." Jaxon repeated, his voice strained with worry.

Alex's eyes fluttered open, making Jaxon sigh with relief. "There you are, baby."

Alex's gaze was unfocused. "Rem? Where... are we Remy?"

His words were slurred and extremely quiet so only Jaxon could hear him. But Jaxon felt a horrible chill rush up his spine when Alex said 'Remy'.

"Alex, it's me."

Alex shook his head a little and groaned. He raised his hand to his head and felt where it hurt, causing him to hiss. He pulled back his hand and saw blood covering him. He seemed to slump and gave a resigned sigh.

"Blood... that's right... you cut me, Rem." His words were slow and jumbled. His head rolled back and a crazed chuckle escaped his lips.

His hand touched his wrist, searching for the wound. "At least... it doesn't hurt anymore."

"Alex..." Jaxon's voice was shaking. Why was he talking about Remy?  Why was he touching his wrists?

"What are-?" He wanted to understand what he was talking about, but decided against it when he noticed Alex's eyes turning heavy. "Alex, I need you to stay with me."

Alex didn't seem to hear him.  He just seemed to be fixated on the blood on the ground as if he didn't want to look anywhere else.

"Doesn't matter... Isn't that right Remy? I reached... the cusp of my... usefulness." The soul shattering words were still slurred, but they made Jaxon's stomach sink.