43. Dangerous

When they pulled up, Alex saw a number of vehicles that were already parked. It seemed that it would be quite the gathering.

Alex and Jaxon climbed out of the vehicle and stretched their tired limbs. Alex pulled his jacket collar up a little to cut the chill from the winter air. Jaxon grabbed their bags and smiled brightly. "Ready?"

Alex laughed and brushed back his hair, trying to look halfway decent. He didn't know how to interact with meeting someone's family. As if feeling his nervousness, Jaxon leaned in and kissed him quickly. "You're going to be great." 

He led him inside and set their bags down in the large foyer. Light wooden floors played off of the whitewashed walls. Wood beams framed the ceiling giving the house definition and character. The place was lit by natural light because of the large windows overlooking the expansive snow covered stretch of land.

Alex was used to the city, but this brought a new feeling to him. "Jaxon, this is beautiful."

"You like it?"

Alex laughed. "I don't think I ever want to leave."

Jaxon beamed with delight. "You should see it in the springtime."

He was leading him through the house and reached a large seating area. A fireplace was the main focal point with extended windows on the sides. Jaxon saw about 20 people outside playing in the snow and oblivious to their arrival.

However, Alex wasn't looking in that direction. His eyes were fixed on a mahogany piano in the corner.

"That's a Steinway." He whispered and immediately moving towards it. His hands gently touched the wood and the keys.

Jaxon rubbed the back of his neck. "I recently had it moved in."

Alex shook and turned to him. "Do you know how expensive these pianos are?"

"I bought it, so yeah. They said it was one of the best brands." Jaxon chuckled.

Alex ran his hands over the wood again. "A Steinway has been tested to perfection. The acoustic qualities alone outstrips any other in my opinion. But I love that each piano is handmade and unique.  It gives it character and depth. To me it's not just one of the best brands, it's my favorite."

"Good. I was hoping you would like, considering it's yours."

Alex's fingers stumbled on the keys, making a jarring sound. "Jaxon!"

Jaxon wrapped him in his arms and pressed a kiss to his lips to stop him from protesting. Alex fell into the kiss easily, holding his sweater tightly.

Jaxon pulled back and grinned. "It is your Christmas present, but if you refuse it, I suppose it could just sit here and gather dust."

Alex narrowed his eyes. "Gather dust? Do not disrespect a fucking Steinway."

Alex couldn't help but love the piano. He had spent so many years behind pianos and had always admired the craftsmanship.

He sat down on the bench and tested a few chords. His shoulders relaxed and he sighed with pleasure when the sounds reverberated on the walls. It was perfect.

A number of songs filled his head to test, but he looked at Jaxon and knew the perfect one. His hands hit the keys for a fast tune, his hands flitting across the spruce keys. He knew the layout of the piano by heart and didn't need to look down, instead he turned towards Jaxon who was leaning against the piano. His lips pulled upwards as he sang his song.

When he finished he laughed happily. The song was one he enjoyed playing on the piano and felt it was perfect for the happiness he felt now. Jaxon moved to the bench with him and relaxed against him. "So we're keeping it, right?"