- 22 -

BEE POV

***

AUGUST 19TH

The day before I was supposed to leave, Lydia pulled me into her bedroom and showed me her array of jewelry. She claimed that some of it had come directly from the Titanic, salvaged from some of the richest people aboard. I found it a bit creepy, but beautiful nonetheless. I wondered how she'd gotten the rings and pearls.

"This one," She commented, pulling out a gorgeous wedding ring, "was your mother's. After your father died, she sent it to me to add to the collection. Didn't want to look at it any longer. Hated the thought of it. But...I think it's appropriate for me to give it back to you. I don't know if it'll fit your fingers--your mom always had such small fingers--but we can put it on a chain...a little keepsake for you."

"Lydia..." my fingers shook as I delicately held the ring. I hadn't seen the ring in so long. I couldn't remember the last time I saw it on my mom's finger. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I am. I always felt bad that she sent it to me. Now that we're a family again, it's time you got it back."

"Oh--we were always a family. Just because we didn't talk much doesn't make you any less of my aunt." I replied, stringing the chain she'd given me through the ring and closing it around my neck. It didn't feel light on my neck, but it wasn't heavy. It felt like it was meant to be there.

"I miss her everyday, Elisa, I really do." I heard my aunt choke back some tears. For once I did not correct her. I didn't mind her calling me Elisa, but Bee felt so much more personal.

"I do too," I murmured. "There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret leaving her. When she needed me most, I left. I felt terrible. I still do. Sometimes I see her in my dreams."

"Does she talk to you?"

"Sometimes. But I can never hear what she says. It's stupid, really. The last time I had a dream like that I called Nick."

"Maybe you'll get some closure now," Lydia said, swaying out of the room.

I follow her down to the kitchen, my bags already packed by the door. I was intending on leaving during the early hours of the morning, maybe four or five.

"You know, there's a lovely boy just up the road that you might want to get to know. He's about your age. Twenty, maybe twenty one," She mentioned carelessly, as if she forgot I was leaving.

"I don't think I have enough time to really get to know him. Maybe the next time I visit?"

"Ah, maybe."

"Have you ever considered moving back to Texas, Lydia? It's been great." I forgot to mention the recent heat wave. "Lovely weather, honestly."

"Oh, no, I could never. Too much going on there. I'm quite happy to be where I am," She murmured.

"You'd be closer to grandpa," I point out, "And Marty. And my mom,"

"I suppose. But I don't want those bad memories."

I guess I could see where she was coming from.

We sat and talked for a while more before she decided to go outside and tend to her garden, which was doing very well for the cold night's she'd been enduring lately. I curled up on the couch and started to text Nick.

It seemed like all I did lately was stream and talk to Nick. I had been getting involved in the Lore of the SMP a lot too, so I guess I had that to look forward to as well.