- 49 -

BEE POV

***

December 20th

I waited at the gate, wringing my hands nervously. Around me, people swarmed to their flights or to the front of the airports.

I had just flown into Texas for Christmas with Lydia. She insisted on coming with me--she wanted to meet Nick, but also wanted to spend the Holidays near home. We got a hotel room, so it wouldn't be weird for both of us to be staying with Nick's family.

As Lydia returned from the Starbucks, I saw a familiar face and ran through the crowd, hugging him tightly. His familiar arms wrapped around my torso and I smiled into his chest.

"Hey," Nick spoke softly, finally letting go and smiling to me.

I kissed him, remembering the raw serotonin I'd experienced the first time his gentle lips touched mine. My regret of not kissing him before I left for North Dakota faded.

Lydia's voice interrupted us.

"So this is him, huh?" She motioned, eyebrow raised.

"Yes, Lydia, this is Nick."

They shook hands, fear flashing in Nick's face. Oh God, what if she didn't like him? What if she said that he was awful? What if she wants us to break up--?

"It's so good to finally meet you! You know, after that whole crisis a while ago I was hesitant to meet you, but you just seem so good for my niece. So much better than that Matthew boy she was talking about." Lydia gushed.

"What about Tom?" I eyed her, half teasing.

"Oh, Tom? From up the road? Didn't I tell you? He and his boyfriend just got engaged!" She clasped her hands together. "Let me tell you, it was such a relief, because I thought he'd be good for you until he started telling me that you weren't his type. We must go to his wedding, Libbee, we have to be good neighbors."

I laughed. I laughed so hard my ribs hurt. And Nick laughed--oh, the irony. For him to be jealous over Tom.

I didn't even know he was gay.

***

Nick drove us to the hotel, which was actually really nice. We were going to stay for a month, and then go back to North Dakota.

Nick sat on the bed as I unpacked, watching me with care. I didn't feel uneasy under his gaze. I felt at home. I missed Texas; I missed him.

Lydia was going to go out and explore Houston. She loved the Texas weather already—I didn't know why she moved to North Dakota in the first place.

So it was just Nick and I.

I fell onto the bed next to him and buried my face in the cool white pillow. I had been up since five--I was more than exhausted.

To be back next to Nick relieved my stress.

"It's nice to be back," I muttered quietly, turning my head to glance at Nick. He was gazing at me like he'd never seen me before. "I've missed it here."

"I'm excited for you to meet my family. They'll love you. My mom hasn't been able to stop talking about you since I got here, but then again, neither have I." He chuckled lightly and rested his head on the pillow next to mine. His fingers reached up and I felt a part of me melt as they caressed my cheek lightly.

"I've missed you," I said. My eyelids grew heavy. "Promise not to leave me?"

"I promise," came his reply.

***

When I finally woke from my nap, Nick still laid next to me, half asleep. I watched him breathe for a few minutes before sitting up.

The serenity I got from the hotel room was unlike any other joy I'd felt since September.

Lydia still hadn't returned. Nick and I decided to do something. He took me to his favorite restaurant—some fancy Greek place I'd never heard of.

"My family and I used to come here a lot when I was a kid," he said. Around us, some people were casually dressed while others looked like they were at a black tie event. We fell right in the middle of the spectrum. "I haven't found another place like it. Nothing can top their Baklava."

I was quiet. I was so excited to be back with him, but at the same time there was a wall of tension between us. It felt like there was something we needed to address, but I didn't know what it was.

Dinner was amazing. I started to loosen up a bit, and before long, Nick and I were laughing our asses off over the smallest of things. A genuine smile came to my lips.

We paid and walked around the city for a while. Downtown it was beautiful. There was a massive tree in the center of the square, decorated with Christmas lights and ornaments. I basked in the glow from the LEDs.

Nick trailed behind me as I stared at the tree. At the top there was a star, bigger than any tree topper I'd seen before.

"Bee," I heard him call. I turned with a childlike smile erupting on my face.

He wasn't kneeling, but in his hand was a box. Confusion spread to my cheeks and eyes. He opened the small velvet box, and inside I saw a small ring.

"This isn't an engagement ring," he said hurriedly. "It's a promise ring. I was going to wait until Christmas but I'm too impatient. I...I know things have been hard, for both of us. But I promise that no matter what happens, I'll be there for you. Even if I have to drive across the country and fly across the ocean."

My hand flew to my face and I felt a waterfall of tears slide down my face.

"...And I promise that, no matter where life takes us, I'll always be by your side." He took the ring out and slid it onto my finger. God—why was I crying?

I loved him, really. I think that's why I was crying.