Familial Grief

"W-what did you say?"

Alpha: I...don't wish to repeat it, I know you heard it right...

"No...you're joking right? Please tell me that's a lie!"

...

Being met with silence, Purifier started to shake, her knees gave out under her, and she remained there, paralyzed.

"I...I cease to exist?"

Alpha: Yes...

"*Hyperventilating* Nononono, there has to be something, anything!"

Alpha: I...I truly don't know"

Purifier sat there, staring into space, she started to cry at the thought of losing herself, losing her family.

"*crying* Th-there's nothing we can do?"

Alpha: N-no...I *sniff* I don't know...

Alpha started to cry as well, she couldn't handle the thought, losing her friend, the one she would call a sister...

Alpha: I CAN'T!

She rushed to Purifer, wrapping her arms around the taller girl, crying in her chest.

Alpha: I don't wanna lose you! I never want too!

Purifier embraces her as well, the two sirens pouring their emotions out in each other's embrace. Alpha stopped crying and grabbed Purifer's head, staring into her eyes, her own burning with purpose.

Alpha: I'll find something, anything to stop this! I won't sit by watching you die!

"Alpha, thank you...for everything"

Alpha hugged her once again

Alpha: It's what family does, right?

"Yeah, yeah it is"

...

Alpha: Well, we should go and inform the girls, shouldn't we?

"They definitely need to know"
—————
Back in Vestal's office, she was at her desk, dealing with the small bits of paperwork that comes with being a nurse.

Vestal: Something I'm not too fond of

Gathering up the last bits of paper, she heard a humming behind her, she turned and saw a siren portal opened, with Purifier walking out alongside-

Vestal: OBSERVER ALPHA?!

Alpha: Hello Miss Vestal

Vestal: U-Umm...hello?

Alpha smiled at her nervousness

Alpha: You can relax, I'm not here to hurt anyone

Vestal: *Phew* Thank god! What brings you here then?

Alpha: Well, I'm sure you know of Purifier's hallucinations?

Vestal: Of course, they're violent, and she seems to lose herself in them sometimes

...

Alpha: Well...we found the cause

Vestal: Really?! What is it?

Alpha: It's...

She took a deep breath

Alpha: Her wisdom cube is experimental, she was the first subject to be implemented with it. It was a smashing success, but as a new project, we didn't know the long term side effects...

Vestal:...Something has gone wrong, I presume?

Alpha: Very, her cube is unstable, the power emanating from it is warped and damaged, and it's trying to fix itself

Vestal: Isn't that good?

Alpha: No...not in this case...the cube runs off of her body's power, but is supplied by her brain, same as all wisdom cubes

Alpha shed tears as she came to the conclusion.

Alpha: With that...the consequence of the repair is to sacrifice its host's mind...effectively killing the host and replacing them

Vestal's face went a pale white, her hands that held the clipboard to take notes were shaking terribly.

Vestal: Y-you mean-

Alpha: Yes...she is dying...her mind is dying

...

Vestal: Oh...shall I-

Alpha: You should inform the rest...it's for the best everyone knows

Vestal: Of course, but I'm still a doctor, is there anything that can be done?

Alpha: Well...I have two outcomes currently for this. One is that the cube is able to be artificially repaired, thus bringing it too full power easily and effectively, as well as bringing it too full compatibility

Vestal: And of the second?

...

Alpha: We start to prepare a funeral with another Purifier
——
Mere minutes after Vestal left the office, Alpha left to start working on the "cure" as she put it. Not only that, but the Yorktown class, as well as Laffey and some others barged into the infirmary, having been told the news about the situation.

After the river of tears dried, the group was thoroughly exhausted, so they retreated to their dorms, Purifier going with Yorktown instead of Hornet.

...

*click*

The door opened, Yorktown and Purifier walked into her room.

Yorktown: Alright, the shower is over there. You can take one if you need too

Purifier said nothing as she went to the showers. Yorktown was alone in her room.

She changed into her sleepwear, putting away her uniform as she thought about everything.

Yorktown: It's been a ride these past months...and now it's coming down

She looked to the side of her bed, on the table was a picture.

Said picture was of Yorktown and Simon, both sitting on a bed smiling at the camera.

She smiled at the memories, she remembered all the bad jokes, the gifts he would bring...he never let her feel alone.

*drip*

*drip*

Yorktown held the picture close, crying on her bed.

Yorktown: *crying* I...I hope she can find something to stop this...

*creak*

"Thank for letting me shower mom...mom?!"

Purifier rushed to her side

"Is everything ok?!"

Yorktown: No, everything isn't ok! You're dying, Purifier! How would I be ok?!

"I get that, but at this point we can't do anything...we just have to stay strong. So please keep that smile of yours that everyone loves"

Yorktown looked at Purifier, who was giving her one of her famous smiles. Yorktown smiles as well, hugging the girl as she returned it.

Yorktown: Sweetie...you're brave for this, you know?

"Not brave, just insane"

Yorktown: Hmph, you are not young lady!

'Oh god she's in mom mode'

"*nervous* I think we should just sleep now"

Yorktown: Agreed, today has been a trip

They laid down in bed. Cuddling up to each other, happy that they were able to spend quality time together.

Something Purifier doesn't have much left of.

Yorktown: Goodnight sweetie

"Goodnight mom"

?: Mom?

?: Who's mom?