Ch. 21 ' Oh Sweet Jason (II)

THE LAST THING I clearly remember is the phone slipping out of my hands. I'm not sure what happened after, nor do I know the exact time Jason came. I recollect waking up to him pressing a wet cloth on my forehead, but my eyes must have not been open for more than a second, because I can't recollect anything after that.

Another time, he pulled me up and fed me something. Food, is all I can say. I was too sleepy to give thought to my taste buds.

The last memory in my head is one in which his elbows were propped on the bed with his chin in his palm. His eyes, tired and anxious. I remember smiling lazily, and him responding with a frown.

He's asleep now, though, with his shoulder and head on the bed. He fell asleep while watching me. I'm seated, my back on the bed support beam. I raise my knees and put my arms around them. This is someone I called names hours ago.

Responding to the sting in my throat, I gently put my feet on the floor and try to get off the bed. In the process, my hand brushes Jason's head. I recline sharply as his body flies up.

"Fell asleep," he mumbles almost inaudibly, rubbing his eyes. "Sorry . . . "

Our eyes finally meet. I shrink like a thief caught red-handed.

"What are you doing? Get back on the bed."

"I- I'm thirsty, so I was going to get water," my croaky voice is the only evidence that I was ill.

"I said, get back on the bed." He pushes himself up. "I'll get it."

I want to tell him I'm fine, at least enough to get it myself, but he doesn't wait for me to reply. He walks out immediately, his strides screaming exhaustion. How do I tell him he looks like he needs more rest than I do?

I return my legs to the bed and resume my sitting position. In a few minutes, Jason arrives with a mug and a glass cup. He pours water into the cup and hands it to me. Then watch me as I drink all of it.

"Is that all you need?" he asks when I'm done.

I nod.

"How do you feel?"

My body is a bit warm, but the cold is gone, so I say, "Better."

He sits on the stool by the bedside.

"You should get some rest," I say.

He rolls his eyes, eyes which have developed bags.

Thanks for taking care of me.

Apologise too.
Shut up.

"Sorry for . . . bothering you."

He rolls his eyes again. "Shut up and go to sleep."

I almost huff. Almost. Laying on the bed, I pull the duvet over my body.

About ten minutes later, I'm still awake, my mind drifting everywhere. Many thoughts in my head all at once, but the main one is how I don't like it here, in New York. Thinking back on the happenings these last few days, life has been too chaotic. I didn't get into so much trouble in all my fifteen years spent in Nigeria.

You're lying.
Shut up.

I turn and see Jason is back to sleep. Even Jason confirmed it himself. Why else would he give me a chain that's supposed to keep me out of trouble? Speaking of the chain . . . what did I do with it?

I use my hand to feel around my collarbone; nothing. I sit up in alarm and feel my neck some more. Oops. My eyes drift to the dressing table where my phone still lays on the floor. Gently leaving the bed, I walk to it. A sigh follows after I pull open the first drawer. The chain is curled at the inner right corner.