Ch. 12 ' A Pour for A Pour.

"Let me down."

I planned for my voice to come out loud and intimidating, but it doesn't. Instead, I sound like a broken microphone.

Beg and politely ask him to put you down.
Shut up.

I attempt to kick him; useless move. I shouldn't have followed that plan. How on earth did I let myself get into this situation?

Jason's fault. He's the one who said I just needed to say I'm his stepsister. Yet, I'm at fault too. I should've collected his number. It's only natural for me to ha— wait.

"I have it," I shout. "Please, put me down. I have Jason's number."

Mom called it to me while I wrote it on a sheet, days before the wedding. I was meant to phone him when I reached the airport. I simply dialled the number and cut the call, not sure of what to save it as. It's there. In my recents.

Though his eyes are highly doubting, the bouncer put me down. I sigh in relief and ransack my pockets, thereafter bringing out my phone.

"I think you girls should go now. You've wasted our time enough."

I go to the Recents and start scrolling. Someone grips my arm and leads me down the stairs. I struggle with Max, but it's no use. About three weeks now; I calculate, scrolling faster.

My call log shouldn't be so cramped, but my grandparents are people who'd rather make a phone call than a shout.

"There it is," I squeal, clicking.

Max waits as the phone rings. Sam and Mal stare eagerly at me.

Please pick. Please pick.

He doesn't. I re-dial. On the third ring, it connects. I sigh. "Hello."

"Hello."

I've heard this voice only a few times, yet can't mistake it for another.

"Give Jason his phone." I don't intend to be curt, but that's how I sound.

"Yesmi, huh?"

Jason must've told her.

Max' brows draw together. He's impatient. "His girlfriend picked the call," I whisper to him.

To Bella, I say, "Yes, that's my honourable self. Can you give Jason the phone now? It's urgent."

She scoffs. "What's so urgent?"

I close my eyes, suppressing the urge to yell into the phone. There's a high chance she won't help if I explain the situation. She might, but I can't risk it. It's better to talk to Jason.

"It's . . . It's my mom. She wants to speak to him."

I'm counting on the fact that she already knows we're step-siblings.

"Liar," I hear from two places. The phone, and behind me.

Oops.

I turn. Bella is standing at the door. But for the red hair, I won't recognise her. The face I saw during lunch break is buried under makeup. Her eyes are green, matching the gorgeous dress she's wearing.

I and my friends head back up the stairs.

"Well, as you can see," I say to the bouncer, "I know Jason."

We make to enter but Bella's outstretched arm stops us. It takes great restraint to not twist it; the same hand she used to slap Mal.

"Who are those two?"

I glance at Sam and Mal. "Friends. Jason said I could come with them."

Bella tilts her head to take a closer look. She frowns. "They weren't invited, or were they?"