Ch. 26 ' In the Locker Room. [I]

Bella doesn't say anything as Rahman leads me outside the basketball court, and neither do the other girls. They just stand there, silently fuming.

When we reach outside the court, I raise my head to look at Rahman; who has his arm draped across my shoulder. "Where are you taking me to? Hope it's somewhere I can have a proper bath."

Rahman nods.

We go down the passage between the tall buildings and are approaching a door when he exclaims. "Damn, my skin burns."

I withdraw from him, wrapping my hands around my feverish body. "I shouldn't have touched you, there's chilli powder in what they shot at me."

His brows raise in an 'oh' reaction. It disturbs me that such an evil act doesn't even surprise him. Is he used to Bella doing this?

"You're lucky, Yesmi," he says, pushing the door open. "I've seen worse. Wish I'd gotten there earlier." He looks at me sadly, his eyes apologetic.

I kick his leg before I can think over the act. He bowls over, clutching at his lower leg. "Oow!"

"Stop being sad and sorry, you did nothing but help." I shrug. "Though, yes. It would've been a lot better if you had been there earlier . . . but, still cool. You saved me, either way. Thank you."

He stops holding his leg and stands up. "You're welcome. Go in."

I'm inside when he says, "Just so you know, you're in the boys' locker room."

* * * * *

On a normal day, I hate cold water. I would rather not bath at all than use cold water. Today, I welcome it with wide arms. It is exactly what I need. It rinses the liquid that has made it's way to my skin and cools the peppery, itchy parts. I could stay under this shower forever, as long as this cool is guaranteed, because somewhere at the back of my mind, I'm scared my skin will start to burn immediately I leave the shower.

"Rahman!"

"What?" he shouts back from the next stall.

"Soap. I need soap. I'm not sure this water will be enough to stop the- are you listening?"

"Talk louder."

"I need soap!"

"You didn't have to be that loud!"

Is something wrong with this boy?
"Soap!" I yell again.

His hand appears from the side of the wall and I grab the soap it's holding out.

"He just likes stressing somebody," I mumble.

"Hey there!" he says. "I'm the one being stressed here. I'm the one who saved you and put myself in unnecessary chilli trouble. I'm the one missing class for being a good samaritan."

"I thought you couldn't hear me if I wasn't shouting."

"That's beside the point."

"Well, I didn't exactly ask you to help. You threw yourself into the situation."

"Th- This is what you say? This is how you talk to your helper?"

"If you don't want me to talk to you like that, be good all the way. Stop complaining about the inconveniences that come with helping me."

"You know what, Yesmi? I won't even say anything. Because you're right, I did throw myself into the situation. Next time I see you about to get stoned with a basketball, I'll dutifully walk past."

"Your tiny ass wouldn't dare."

"You better not bring my ass into this!"

I chuckle, looking up at the shower as water rains on me. I thrust my left hand around the wall with the soap in it. "Have the soap."