Ch. 27 ' In the Locker Room. [II]

"Not my bra. Not that bra, oh God! Not my f**king bra." Rahman ducks behind the plastic bag as I lunge one of my shoes at him. "Do you know how much it cost?"

"Yesm-"

"Do you?!"

He barely dodges the second leg. "Yesm-"

I grab one of the hockey sticks by the door and throw it. "Fifty thousand naira, Rahman. Fifty thousand naira. And I've only worn it thrice!" I grab another hockey stick and race for him. He backs off, and soon enough, we're running in circles.

"I didn't kn-"

"It was a twin set! Limited! Felicie bought it for us. We haven't even worn it for the planned beach outing yet, what am I supposed to say when it's time?!" Rahman backs away, but he puts so much distance his back hits a locker. I throw the hockey stick down in frustration. "What am I supposed to tell her happened to it?!"

"Yesmi, people are-"

"Shut up, you bra disposer." I pant.

"I didn't know all of this, okay?" he yells. "Stop being unnecessarily dramatic."

I gape at him for the next few seconds, then I fly, aiming to damage. I land right on his shoulders, with my hand in his hair. He loses his footing, as I wanted, but on the downside, my knuckles graze the floor as he hits it. I clutch my right hand in pain and fury. Then use the same hand to hit him on his mouth, the same mouth he used to call me dramatic. Rahman ducks and my hand lands on his brow instead.

He wails.

I immediately hold back, eyes dilated. The place I hit bleeds, though minimally. I gasp, covering my mouth with my hand. I hadn't meant to hurt him, I was just reacting to him calling me dramatic for being upset over my bra. That was all. How did my little blow suddenly have him bleeding?

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," I say, dabbing at the injury with the end of the jacket sleeve, frightened to the core.

Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about Rahman's injury much longer, because the door slams open. Our heads sharply turn to the door, and I'm bewildered to see Jason and Bella standing there. Behind them, others troop in.

I return my gaze to Rahman, only just realising the very awkward position we're in. I have my knees at his sides, and my hand is holding his neck. I had been inspecting his injury, but that doesn't make sense anymore. I jump off him, feeling even more ashamed than I felt when I farted in the cafe.

I get up and dust my knees, wishing I could also dust off the shocked expression on Jason's face. Beside him, Bella isn't just surprised, she also looks very amused. Of course, she would like this. I can't help the glare I sport.

"Were you guys just about to have sex?" Bella asks, and she says it loud enough for everyone to hear. Loud enough for even the people outside to hear.

My cheek swells and everywhere suddenly becomes hot. I swear I could cry at this very moment.

Bella removes her hand from Jason's and crosses it. "Don't you think you should take things a bit slower . . . Yesmi?"

I grit my teeth, my eyes brimming with tears. Beside her, Jason's eyes are closed. I want to scream, 'it's not like that.' But what would that prove?

I look back at Rahman. His mouth is open and he's glaring at Bella. I know if she isn't a girl, she would be receiving punches already. Rahman looks away from Bella when he notices I'm watching him. Then he mouths, 'Go for her.'

It is exactly what I do. Every anger I feel for her, from the first time we met and up till now, I combine everything and lunge at her. She backs off in surprise, but it's too late. My hand hits her cheek with precision. The small crowd scatters as I push Bella to the ground, then sit on her.