Ch. 48 ' Of Broken Cords and Ruins.

The time-lapse between leaving the school and Rahman calling emotionally feels like hours and rationally feels like minutes. Receiving it unnerves me either way. When my phone started ringing, my first thought was that it would be Mom. After all, I told her I was going to the bathroom and should've been back by now. I wouldn't pick it, I decided. Looking at my phone screen and seeing Rahman opens a new line of thought.

No. He didn't read it, did he?

He couldn't.

We haven't even gotten to the airport and I've already been found out . . . ?

The ringing stops, calming me, but that calm lasts for no more than a second. The phone starts ringing again; another call from Rahman.

I swipe the receiver in hurry, anxious about why he's calling.

"Where are you?!"

My intestines twist inside my stomach. How . . . ?

"Where are you, Yesmi? Fucking answer me where are you headed?!!"

My hand rests on my heart, trying to calm the crescendo of my heart hitting against my ribcage as if fighting to be let out. He knows.

He knows.

Who else knows . . .

But, I'm not sure . . .

"The restroom," I say, my voice tiny and filled with trepidation.

Rahman laughs. It's so dry my chest hurts. "F**king liar! Cut the bullshit and tell me which airport you're headed to."

"That is not your business!" I snap.

There's a pause on the other side, a biting silence that makes me guilty for snapping at him. But he deserves it, and more. He read the letter. This can only mean he read the letter. He shouldn't have. He should've waited till after the match and given it to Jason like he was meant to. Not mess this up for me.

"You read the letter, didn't you? Why? Ever heard of privacy? Was it addressed to you?!"

He fires back sharper than I expect. "No, it wasn't but if you intend to make me feel guilty for reading it you're going on a fruitless path! I know I wasn't supposed to but you were acting weird. I knew something was up!"

"And now, what have you gained? You think you can just call me and ask me where I'm headed and I'll tell you? You thought that? For real?"

"You're making a terrible mistake and being very childish. Stupidly childish at that. Did you think of anyone before doing this? Were you so intent on running from problems that you couldn't think of all the people you'd be hurting with this? This is foolish, Yesmi."

"I am not childish and I am not stupid! I'm doing this for everyone!"

"Do you realise how foolish you sound? You don't want this!"

"You shouldn't have read the letter."

"I don't think so."

"I do. Do me one last favour, Rahman, Jason mustn't find out before the end of the match. Mom neither."

Then I hang up without waiting for a reply. My chest rises and falls dramatically as my eyes dart everywhere, unseeing.

Somewhere in the background, Dad asks me something, but I don't quite hear him.

Why is this happening?

Even if I didn't live here in peace, can't I at least leave in peace?

I glance at the chauffeur. Once, twice, before my eyes fully settle on him. "Drive faster," I blurt.