Ch. 25 ' Bella's Revenge.(II)

The first thing that comes to my mind is, I'm so done for. So done for.' But then Bella asks me, "Do you know Diwali?"

And my fear is overtaken by confusion. What does my knowledge Diwali have to do with her? I think of ignoring the question but change my mind. "An Indian festival which they play with coloured powder?"

She smiles a sweet, and I hate to admit, cute smile. "You have such a wrong definition of Diwali." She shrugs and adds, "At least you aren't entirely ignorant about it."

Why isn't anyone coming? We've been on this for fifteen minutes, if not more . . . someone . . . someone should come to save me from this crazy girl, please.

"Anyway, I'll be generous and educate you."

I roll my eyes. Inside me, I'm praying, reciting every Surah I know -which heartbreakingly isn't more than two- and pleading with every force of nature. Maybe a teacher or someone, or maybe . . . maybe I can make a run for it. After we entered, I only heard Angel shut the door, I didn't hear her lock it. I glimpse behind me, and the plan to bolt falls flat on my face. The human circle isn't only tight, it's complete. To think that these girls are people I don't even know. Aren't they supposed to be in class?

"You aren't listening?!" Bella screams, jolting me back to the moment.

Her scream is so loud I jump. "What?"

"I'm telling you all about Diwali."

"Oh my God, do I look like I would-"

Oops. What is wrong with me? Why am I throwing a chance to waste more time away?

"Sorry," I say. "I'm . . . okay, so, what about Diwali?"

She sighs and looks away, then starts to walk to and fro. "The first thing I want you to know is Diwali is also called Deepawali. Do you know that?"

I widen my eyes and shake my head. "Wow. Really?"

Though my reaction is fake, I don't know about it. Felicie probably would though, she's crazy about Bollywood, and of course, India.

Bella smiles, pleased with herself. I find myself hoping she would extend the pleasance to me too. "Yes. It's the Hindu festival of lights, and it lasts five days." Having walked a few meters to the left, she turns sharply towards me with bright eyes. "Do you know when it's celebrated?"

I shake my head and put my head forward, feigning interest. "No, when?"

"The Hindu lunisolar month Kartika!" She grins like it's something that's meant to excite me.

Even in the crowd, some girls groan.

I stare back blankly. "And when is that?"

Her grin disappears. "Between mid-October and mid-November."

I nod my head in an understanding way.

"It symbolises the spiritual victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance."

This is where I start to feel interested. My head tilts in genuine interest.

"And it's widely associated with Lakshmi, goddess of prosperity . . . but regional traditions connect it to Sita and Rama, Vishnu, Krishna . . . Uhm . . . Durga!" She goes off for a few seconds and returns with a big smile. "Kali, Dhanvantari or Vishvakaram."

It's when she starts talking again that I realise my mouth is open. I doubt even Felicie knows these.

"The part where the powder comes in is the Rangoli decorations which are popular during Diwali. It's made using coloured fine powder."