Ch. 28 ' Of Giggles and Favours.

The park reminds me of our estate in Nigeria. It doesn't have big buildings, but it has the relative calm and the wind. And I think the trees make up for the buildings. Or this is probably me trying to feel closer to home. Me soothing myself.

There are mostly children in the park and their parents. It is one of the very few places in New York that isn't overcrowded and bustling. I see a small baby and wave at her. She giggles and waves back. I suck in a breath. This is the first time a baby has responded to me jovially. I tap Rahman's arm roughly.

"Did you see that?" I squeal.

The baby has turned to face her father, so I have only her back to grin at.

"What?" Rahman asks, running his hand through his hair. I itch to do so, too.

"She waved at me." I giggle and add, 'damn', like Rahman.

He chuckles. "What's the big deal there? Babies wave back at me all the time."

I frown, eyeing his frame. "Spoilsport."

He chuckles even more.

"Are there animals here?" I ask.

"Yes, but mostly chickens, like you."

"What about monkeys like you?"

He smirks. "Nice comeback."

I laugh. "Let's find somewhere to sit down."

Rahman finds us a place to sit down, on a low platform a few inches from a waterfall. I'm tempted every passing second to jump right under it.

After we've sat in silence for a few minutes, Rahman asks, "Why do you think he acted that way?"

I've been thinking of that myself, and haven't been able to decide on anything. "Jason?" I say just to fill the silence.

"Who else would I be talking about?"

I shrug. "I don't know. Bella must've told him something. Something untrue."

The girl covers her tracks well, and this is exactly what she wants. A fight between me and Jason.

"And what if that isn't the case?"

I shake my head; my mind, body and soul rejecting what he's insinuating. "Jason would not be on her side if he knew what she did. I'm sure of that. He's— he's not like that."

Rahman smiles and nods his head. "Okay. What is he like?"

I face him. "Is that a taunting question?"

"Clearly."

I press my lips together. "How long have you guys been friends?"

He looks away. "Five years."

"Best friends?"

"Close enough."

I raise and bend my left leg so I can put the foot on my right lap. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." He chuckles. "I would probably do worse if I saw him in that position with my sister."

I raise my brows. "You have a sister?"

"If I did."

"Oh," I murmur.

"Only an elder brother."

"What's his name?"

I'm already imagining an older version of Rahman. Longer hair, maybe. Sharper jaws. A more tan skin.

"Nathaniel."

My eyes go round. "Did an Imam officiate your naming ceremony and a pastor, his?"

Rahman laughs. "No. Rahman isn't my real name. I never told you it was."