Ch. 40 ' Felicie!

"There's even a higher chance that you took it."

A drum goes off in my head. What?

"Yeah."

I grab a handful of the sliced cucumbers on a plate and throw them at him.

"Hey!"

"I didn't! why would I?!"

Rahman picks at the cucumber slices on his body. "Maybe you were mad at him about something."

"Listen to yourself! Besides, we were still in an amicable situation last night and— and— and—" I throw my hands up, "You know what, I didn't even know they had a test, or that Jason's test sheet was in that office."

"I was joking!" Rahman giggles.

"Not funny," I return, thoroughly upset.

Rahman smiles slyly. "I don't see why you should be so bothered about being falsely accused anyway. The footage can always be checked when it comes to."

"The CCTV camera!" I point. "Right, it should be checked. Why hasn't it been checked?"

Rahman's just staring at me in all my excitement, looking at me like I don't know what I'm saying. Then without saying anything, he goes back to eating.

Not like I care. Checking the footage will get everything solved in the snap of a finger. It will reveal whoever has been messing with my locker.

Who has been messing with my locker . . .

Wait, how could've I have missed that simple fact?

The girl I caught at my locker. I thought she was trying to steal the cookies, but what if she was doing something else. Something more sinister and just used that to cover . . . ?

It's all making sense.

Rahman clears his throat roughly, snapping me out of my reverie.

"You need to calm down," he says with a straight face.

"Calm down?" I shoot back unbelievably. "Calm down?! Mr Matthew won't accept Jason's test paper! People won't stop staring at me like I'm a horrible person, and I'm supposed to just calm down?!"

I know taking it out on Rahman is wrong, but I've seen the faces. The whispers. The snickers. The sneers. Even now. If I let my attention wander away from Rahman and concentrate on the 'human' parts of this cafe, the castigating stares would be waiting. Like an unwanted loyal friend. They're the main reason I've started to tune out everything.

"Yes, You're supposed to just calm down."

I stare at him like he has just finished spitting some nonsense. Which is not entirely untrue. "I'm sorry but I don't have that superpower."

I take a slice of cucumber to pop in my mouth and Rahman flinches, making me laugh. "Scaredy cat."  

As I chew, I regret not getting myself something before heading here.

Rahman smiles fondly. "It's all gonna be sorted out, okay? Don't worry, and calm down."

I'm actually considering his words, then he ruins it all. He reaches forward, snatches my beanie off my head, drops it on the table and pats my head. Roughly.

"RAHMAN!!!" I scream, picking the beanie off the table and lunging it at him with precision.

It hits him hard on the face. The way I wanted. Finally. Something going the right way for the first time today. Except . . .

Most people are now looking at us.

And my butt is no longer on the seat! I grit my teeth. When did I get up?