Ch. 34 ' Dinnertime Quarreltime.

The rest of the day goes surprisingly well, considering its precedents. Putting Bella at the back of my mind is easy once I find Sam and Mal. I can't be more grateful that they don't bother me on how the visit went. It's like they know I'll tell them once I'm ready. And I will. Eventually.

They take me home too; I don't bother looking for Jason, and my joy in meeting no one at home knows no bounds. Then after eating and bathing, I retire to my bed and do what I've wanted to do all day.

Sleep.

———

A loud ringing brings me back from slumberland. I stretch lazily, recognising the familiar sound.

"Get up," comes a growl afterwards.

Sighing, I push myself up, my eyes half-open.

"It's time for dinner. Get down now!"

My forehead creases. "Since when did we eat dinner together?"

I turn when no one answers and see Jason is no longer here. I sigh again and get down from the bed, quickly branching into the bathroom to wash my face before heading downstairs.

On getting to the dining room, everyone is here. Mom, Mr Philip and Jason. My spirit dies a little, but I progress further into the room with a small smile.

"Welcome, Yesmi," Mr Philip says, giving himself the title of the first and only person to welcome me.

"Thank you," I say.

I settle in the empty seat between Mom and Jason. Mr Philip is on Mom's other side.

Mom drops her phone and says a quiet prayer, then she says, "Let's eat."

The sound of ceramic fills the room afterwards. Dinner is rice. Rice, sauce and- My eyes light up. Chicken! I grin, immediately reaching out for the ceramic bowl. My hand accidentally brushes Jason's in the process.

"Careful!" he snaps.

"Sorry," I say, being more careful in making sure the large lap doesn't fall.

Jason grumbles in reply. Mom stares at each one of us, but Mr Philip is too busy with his food to notice us.

I'm on my third chicken when Mom casts a long glance at me and says, "Who are those girls you left with this morning?"

My teeth are currently wedged in a Chicken's lap. I blink, trying to decide if I should bite the meat and chew or retract my teeth. Mom's icy stare decides it for me. I defeatedly return the chicken to the plate.

"My friends."

"Of how many days?"

I count. "Four days."

"And you think it's safe to follow them around?"

"I don't see what's unsafe about them," I say, picking up the chicken.

"I don't see what's safe about it either. You're most likely inconveniencing them. You'll go with Samuel from now on."

The chicken falls into the plate as I raise my voice to complain. "There's nothing there!"

"Not to me."

I turn back to my chicken, mumbling discontentedly.

"What did you say?"

I remain quiet for a second. "Or I can go with Jason."

"Or not!" Jason yells.

I look from a frowning Jason to Mom, my eyes pleading. "Or yes."