Ch. 7 ' A Blackmail Deal.

I squeeze the bread into my mouth as Mom lunges for the teacup.

"Shove it down with the tea," she says.

I grab the cup. Today has been anything but fun, from the moment Mom came to wake me for 'school'. Heart-breaking.

It isn't just that I'm not a school person, I've spent only three days here. Saturday, when I arrived. Sunday, when I had a long phone call with Grandpa and Ma, after which I slept through the whole day. Yesterday, when Mom dragged me to the school for admission.

It's obvious I haven't settled in yet; my unpacked suitcases tell the whole story, but Mom refuses to let me lay around doing nothing for a week. She says it's better to start today, the resumption day.

I take another slice, my eight one.

"Yesmi, Jason will be leaving anytime soon."

So? Is she asking me to leave my food?
"Bhu bhughu."

"What are you saying?" She places both arms on her waist and gives me a once-over. "Look how you're dressed."

I gulp down the tea, ignoring the burning heat. I go for another slice but get pulled away.

"Go," Mom shouts.

"No, my bread," I cry.

Mom hisses. In moments, I get thrown out. I'm fighting with the door, begging Mom to let me have one last slice when I hear the sound of a vehicle. I turn and see Jason driving off. The large iron gates are already open.

Oh no.

I take off. Luckily for me, he's moving slowly down the driveway. I get to the front of the Benz in seconds, panting heavily.

For the first time in two days, I see his frowning, cocky, face. Is this how his expression is always? Or he's just annoyed to see me. Most likely the latter.

I gesticulate to him to wait while I pant. After getting my breath back, I go to the front seat and pull the door handle. No luck.

I knock on the windscreen.

He winds down. "What?"

"Let me into the car."

He wrinkles his nose. "What?"

"Let me into th-"

"I heard you the first time."

My forehead puckers. "Why did you say 'what' then?"

"Use your loaf," he says. "Don't you think it's ridiculous of you to ask me to let you in?"

"Ridiculous? How? We attend the same school. It's only natural that I follow you."

"That's your business with nature. Move away. Samuel will take you."

"You have to. Mom asked me to come to you herself."

He looks out the other windscreen. "Liar."

"I'm not lying." I rest on the window sill. "We can go and ask her right away."

"Go ahead. I'll be behind you."

My eyelids are half-closed. "I'm fifteen, Jason. Fifteen. That kind of trick only works on three-year-olds."

He laughs dryly. "Wonder why it didn't work, you're as dumb as they are^."

"Let me in, Jason," I say, voice higher than usual.

He's free to drop any insults on me. I'm more concerned with sitting.

"The back of my head is fine, Yesmi. Very fine. Thanks for asking. Move away."