soulmate au: five

"Then, boys, you're going to grab your partner's waist and lift her up like so."

Aru's eyes widened. She was going to do that with Aiden?!

Maybe she should start dieting.

"Then," The pretty lady in the video adjusted her ponytail. "Girls, you're going to twirl. Make sure when you twirl, you twirl enough so your skirt flares out. It makes the dance more dramatic and it is visually more appealing."

Aru blinked. Ummmm...can I, like, just not do this?

"Alright, so that's just a short snippet of the dance video," Coach Greg explained. "I will email each of you the full video. It's about ten minutes long, not too bad. I expect every one of you to have perfected that dance by the time the festival comes around. Understand?"

"Yes, Coach Greg," the class recited in a monotone.

"Um," Aru raised her hand.

"Yes Ms. Shah?" Coach Greg looked at her.

"Can this dance be optional?" she quirked her lips in a small smile.

Coach Greg chuckled. "Nice try, but no."

Aru nodded, but she threw an internal tantrum. Whhhhyyyyyy...

Aru emptied out her backpack in her locker and sighed. This dance was going to be the death of her.

"Hey," a voice said beside her locker.

Aru yelped. She turned and met the brown-blue eyes of Aiden Acharya. Her cheeks flushed.

"Um hi," she squeaked.

Aiden smiled. "Soooo, school's done. Do you wanna head down to the dance studio?"

Aru stared at him blankly. "What?"

"The dance studio," Aiden furrowed his handsome eyebrows. "You know, the one I was talking to you on the phone about on Saturday."

"Oh yeah!" Aru remembered. "Sure."

After they stepped outside, Aiden grinned at her. "We're walking there, remember?"

Aru groaned. "Why did you have to remind me?"

He laughed. "C'mon, it's not that far away."

"Hey everyone!" the dance instructor waved. "Today, I'm going to teach you how to dance along to Without You by Mariah Carey. This is a more romantic, slow dance. This dance is perfect for weddings, school performances, and prom. Alright let's get right to the video."

Aru cringed. Why would you put school dances and weddings in the same category? And why does every YouTuber always say, "Let's get right to the video!" in a really peppy voice?

"I don't like it," Aru blurted.

"What?" Aiden looked at her, confusion written all over his face.

"I don't like it when YouTubers say, 'Let's get right to the video' in a really chirpy voice. They sound fake," Aru paused the video. "Imma finish watching it when we get to the studio. Wouldn't want to walk into a pole."

Aiden chuckled. "I think Mini would know all about poles."

Aru gasped. "No way, you know that story?"

Aiden grinned. "Yeah, Rudy told me. You were with her that day, right?"

Aru nodded. "I was. Wait, so Rudy saw Mini walk into that pole?"

"I think so."

"Dude, no way. I'm gonna tell her," Aru smirked. "She's gonna freak out."

Aiden gasped dramatically. "I don't know a lot about you yet, Aru, but I didn't think you were evil."

Aru rubbed her palms together like a true Disney villain and cackled.

"You've even perfected the evil laugh!" Aiden exclaimed.

Aru grinned. "That's from watching too many horror movies."

Aiden shook his head. "You're weird."

"You're weird for thinking I'm weird," Aru countered.

"You're weird for thinking I'm weird for thinking you're weird," Aiden smiled.

"You're weird for thinking I'm weird for thinking you're weird for thinking I'm weird."

"'Weird' doesn't even sound like a word anymore," Aiden laughed.

Aru giggled.

Aiden's a lot more easygoing than I thought he would be, Aru smiled to herself.

"Ugh, this looks hard," Aru laid down on the hard wooden dance floor like a starfish.

Aiden laughed. "Get up. Let's just practice the first bit." He restarted the video, paused it, then held out his hand for her.

Her cheeks flamed as she took his hand.

He has long fingers, Aru noticed.

"Do you play guitar?" Aru word-vomited.

"What?" Aiden looked at her.

"Um," Aru fiddled with her braid. "I was just wondering. You have long fingers and like people with long fingers usually play guitar, so like, um..."

Aiden lips curved into a smile. "I don't play guitar. Should I learn?" he teased.

"Oh my god, don't learn if you want to keep your fingers," Aru ranted. "One time, Mini wanted to try it so she forced me into it too. Your fingers hurt like crazy."

Aiden laughed. "I'll keep that in mind."

Aru flushed. "Let's just start dancing."

a/n hey guys. so, this chapter was posted really late. i'm so sorry about that. my power went out the other day so i had to deal with that fun situation. but, i'll be posting part two of this chapter, FOR SURE, tomorrow.
question: favorite food?

hope y'all have a good night

love you <3

- abbizzzz ❤️