soulmate au: eighteen

Aru's heart thumped loudly in her ears. The UV lights shining from the bottom of the stage suddenly felt extra hot, sweat glistening on her forehead. She clutched Aiden's hand tightly, squeezing the life out of his fingers. Her other hand rested on his shoulder and her legs spread shoulder-length apart in the starting position

He smiled handsomely at her, his cheeks slightly red. "You good?"

"Never been better."

He laughed quietly. "Your face says otherwise. You look constipated."

Aru scowled. "Liar. I'm obviously the prettiest girl here," she joked.

"I never said you weren't."

Aru flushed. Did Aiden just indirectly tell her she looked pretty?

Before she could respond, the familiar tune of Without You by Mariah Carey began playing, her honey-like vocals filling the air.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Aru internally shrieked. Holy cow, this is it.

Aiden led her into the first step. To the right, one, two, three, four times.

"Just keep dancing, just keep dancing," Aru sang quietly to herself.

Aiden twirled her around, a grin spread across his lips. "Is that your mantra?" (a/n i want to be clear; aiden isn't referring to the hindu/buddhist type of mantra. he's referring to a phrase or statement repeated often. just wanted to clear any misunderstanding.)

Aru scowled, but her face was bright red. "Shut up," she whispered. "And yes, it is my mantra. I find Dory to be extremely inspiring."

He laughed as he clasped her waist and hoisted her up into the air. "Whatever you say, Shah."

When Aiden brought her back down, Aru realized she shouldn't have been so nervous before coming on stage. She could live in this moment forever. Just one look at Aiden, and the whole crowd disappeared. The only people in the world were the two of them. They danced in sync to the slow, romantic beat. It was like the music had become a part of them. Every time Aiden twirled her around, Aru made sure the skirt of her dress flared out. If Aru stepped to the right, Aiden followed suit. And he didn't even drop her once. It was literal magic.

When the song finally ended, Aru and Aiden along with the other dancers, all took a bow and exited the stage.

Aiden grinned at her. "Dude, we crushed that."

We were freaking amazing!!! Aru cheered and, in the heat of the moment, squeezed him in a brief side-hug. Heat crawled up her neck when she pulled away, but she could've sworn Aiden was blushing too. Maybe. It was probably just a trick of the lighting.

"Aru!" someone shouted.

Aru's eyes widened. "Mom!" She left Aiden's side and dove straight into her mom's arms, inhaling her comforting scent.

"You made it!" Aru grinned so hard, her cheeks hurt, but she didn't care.

Krithika kissed her forehead. "Of course I made it, I couldn't miss it! You looked so good up there, I'm so proud of you." She turned to Aiden who had been awkwardly standing to the side. "Hey, Aiden!"

He bowed his head in greeting. "Hello, Ms. Shah," he said politely.

Krithika shook her head, but she was smiling. "Just call me Krithika, Aiden. You know how close your mother and I are!"

Aru snickered, still clinging to her mother. Aiden looked at her and scowled.

Krithika pulled away from Aru and smiled. "I need to get home, beti. I'll see you later tonight. Your friends are waiting for you, anyway." She pointed behind her at Mini, Rudy, Ethan, and a girl Aru didn't know. They were all waving at her.