assassins au: eleven

hi guys! welcome to part eleven! im sorry, this isn't my best work, but i hope you enjoy nonetheless :) thank you guys for all the well wishes <3 happy readingggg!! :D <3333

It was not unknown that Aru Shah was an interesting girl. Anyone acquainted with her was well aware of her quirky ways and personality. In fact, she had gained a reputation at Oksaana for being The Combo–the girl who came up with the weirdest and grossest food combinations. But even chaos needed order sometimes, which was why Aru enjoyed making notes in her brain–it helped to organize her thoughts when things got a little too crazy.

The Mental Notes of Aru Shah

1. I need to start training harder if I want any shot at joining the royal guard. I wonder if Aiden thinks he'll make it.

2. Are Jenny and Ethan okay? What would they think if they ever met Aiden in-person?

3. What's for lunch today? I hope there's cake.

4. What's Aiden doing right now? He's probably at that tree again, maybe taking close-up pictures of the dirt, or something.

5. I really need to stop thinking about Aiden.

Aru shook her head. She knew girls at Oksaana who did nothing but talk about boys, or people they liked. She had never considered herself one of those girls, and she certainly didn't plan on becoming one of those girls anytime soon. However, Aiden had this irritating way of breaking through the walls of her brain and rudely plopping himself down. He never left–he was just there. Rude.

Did she even like him? It was a legitimate question–Aru didn't really associate herself with boys other than Ethan, but he was like a little brother to her, so the thought of 'liking' him made her want to throw herself out a window. She'd only had one memorable crush in the past, and it was on a boy named Ryan. He'd been pretty popular at Oksaana and he was the same age as her, but he had been a notorious troublemaker. He was so much of a troublemaker, he actually got kicked out of the academy for a prank gone too far. That had been the end of Aru's fleeting feelings. Jenny had teased her for weeks after the incident, telling Aru that "she didn't know she was into troublemakers."

Yeah, Aiden's definitely a troublemaker, Aru thought with a snort.

"Arundhati?" Instructor Jinn's nasally voice shattered her thoughts. He was wearing his smug I-Know-You-Weren't-Paying-Attention-So-I'm-Going-To-Embarrass-You grin. "Would you like to tell me how the urbanization and agricultural growth of Tavasth impacted Adadha after the Turning War?"

"Well," Aru began. Not paying attention didn't mean she was uneducated. "Isn't it obvious? The Turning War left Adadha with very little resources, and their military forces were pretty weak. The growth of Tavasth left Adadha in an even worse position–the two kingdoms were and continue to be rivals, after all."

Aru had to hold back a snort when she saw her instructor's cheeks burn with irritation. "I would've liked to hear more detail in your response, Arundhati, but you are correct. After the Turning War, Adadha experienced a severe deficit in resources. They had expended all their funds and natural resources into winning the war, and the advancements being made in Tavasth during the time further lessened their supplies. This is why it is crucial to prevent another major war from breaking out in Adadha–the impact it would have on our natural resources may be too great for the wellbeing of our kingdom."