assassins au: three

Aru Shah was many things–a champion consumer of unhealthy sweets, the queen of sleeping long hours into the night, a talented hand-to-hand combat soldier; however, a smooth talker was not on the list. Especially when it came to boys.

"Stop laughing at me!" Aru scowled at Ethan. She had just recounted a run-in she had with a Mystery Boy to Ethan and Jenny, and he was clearly enjoying himself. He was bent over his seat, clutching his stomach as bellows of hysterical laughter erupted from his mouth.

"You...are...the most awkward person ever!" He choked out in between fits of laughing. "You literally ran into the guy?"

He was handsome, what else did you expect someone like me to do in a situation like that? Aru thought. He was pretty good-looking. Aru remembered his curly dark hair and taller frame. He also had pretty eyes, soft brown with hints of blue...

Jenny whacked Ethan's arm, the sound bringing Aru back to reality. "Stop making this a big deal. Although, I have to admit, that was kind of funny, Aru."

Aru shook her head in embarrassment. "Shut up. It's not like you're any better, Ethan! What if you ran into Jenny like that? Don't act like you wouldn't blush like a freaking tomato!" She smirked triumphantly. She knew the not-so-subtle crush Ethan had on Jenny, and Aru was pretty sure the feelings were reciprocated. At least, she hoped they were. She'd always thought Ethan and Jenny would make a great power couple.

Ethan glared at her, although his face was as fiery as Jenny's hair. "What are you talking about?" He glanced at Jenny, who tried to cover her pink face under a fierce glower.

"Let's talk about something else!" Jenny suddenly suggested. "How about what we're going to do about the Phoenix Division Initiation Ceremony?"

Ethan nodded so aggressively, Aru was surprised his head didn't fly off his neck. "Yes, let's talk about that!"

Aru snorted. Idiots. Fine, she would let them off the hook this time. This time.

"What's there to talk about?" Aru asked. "It is a little nerve wracking, but it's not like we're the only nervous ones. At least, that's what I keep telling myself."

Oksaana had three main divisions–the Raven Division, the Eagle Division, and the Phoenix Division. The Raven and Eagle Divisions consisted of younger trainees, and the courses were more appropriate for adolescents. However, the Phoenix Division was for ages fifteen and older. The Phoenix Division was the most intense out of every sect, and it determined if you were qualified to fight under Queen Aaleahya's royal guard. Each Phoenix took a test at eighteen years old, where the queen herself assessed the abilities of each trainee. If she considered you susceptible, you were accepted into her army. If she didn't select you, you were forced to repeat training in the Phoenix Division.

And every year, Oksaana held a graduation ceremony for trainees advancing to the next division. Within a few days time, Aru and her friends would be participating in that ceremony–transitioning from Eagles to Phoenixes. They would have to adapt to new, more fierce training schedules, and Aru had a sinking feeling that there wouldn't be much free time for her to spend with Jenny and Ethan. She was trying to soak up as much time with them as possible before it was too late.

Jenny nodded in agreement. "Yeah. I mean, this is a big deal for us. We'll be the cool kids! Except for Ethan, of course." She nudged him playfully in the side.

Aru raised her hand. "Hear, hear!"

Ethan only smirked. "Yeah, I won't be the cool kid. I'll be the coolest kid."

There was silence before Jenny said, "Your jokes are not funny."

"On the contrary," Aru chimed in. "Ethan's jokes are so funny, I forget to laugh every time."