soulmate au: fourteen

Aiden POV

Aiden couldn't stop thinking about Aru.

Not, like, just Aru herself. Haha, that would be ridiculous.

No, he was thinking about her tattoos.

He had seen two of them already: the camera on her wrist when she accidentally sent a shock through both of them, and the leather bands on her neck.

Despite the amount of times he tried to not think about it, he always ended up circling back to the same question.

Was Aru Shah his soulmate?

At first, he told himself that was impossible. It felt so . . . odd. He wasn't sure what the right word was exactly.

But it was just crazy-talk! Aru Shah, his soulmate? No...

Aiden knew he shouldn't be jumping to conclusions, and he tried not to. Her soulmate was probably someone like Ethan anyway. He shouldn't be worrying about the possibilities.

He sighed. He really didn't want to be thinking about this right now.

Darn you, Aru Shah.

Aru POV

Aiden was acting weird.

Like, everytime they practiced dancing together, his moves would feel extra stiff. As if he wasn't comfortable with touching her.

Which was odd, seeing as how he seemed perfectly fine a week ago.

And he wasn't talking to her like he used to. He didn't make nearly the amount of jokes or sarcastic comments he did before.

Normally, Aru wouldn't have said anything to him, in the fear that she was invading his personal life. But his actions were messing up their performance.

They had worked so hard to get to this point! The least Aiden could do was not look extremely uncomfortable.

"What's up with you?" she finally asked him one day. "You've been acting weird. Is everything good?"

He only gave her a blank stare. "I don't know what you're talking about. Everything's fine."

She scoffed. "If you were fine, then you wouldn't be like this right now." A loud sigh escaped her lips. "Look, if it's something personal, then I don't want to know what's up. But can you at least not act like I have a contagious disease or something?"

Aiden lips curved down in a frown. "I don't think you have a contagious disease."

"Then what is it, Aiden? Did I do something?"

"No."

"What is it, then?"

"What if I don't want to tell you?" he asked, suddenly defensive.

"Then fine," Aru said, her voice getting louder. "But I want our performance to look good. Just look like you're okay with the idea of being close to me."

"I don't care about you being close to me," said Aiden, his voice getting louder too. "And I don't feel like telling you what's up either."

Well, GEEZ, OKAY.

"Oh, so something is up," Aru bit back, trying to ignore his previous comment. "You haven't been talking to me either. Are you absolutely positive I didn't do anything?"

"Why does that matter, Aru? Do you seriously have that little faith in the things I say?" Aiden locked eyes with her, somehow making her even more irritated.

"I never said you were a liar! I get you might not want to tell me something, but is it that hard to talk to a friend?"

"You don't get it. I just don't feel like talking about this with you."

Aru glared at him. "Fine," She stood up. "I don't feel like practicing anymore. See you in the next life Aiden."

She didn't stick around to see his reaction.

THE NEXT DAY (AT THE PARK)

"Ethan, I screwed up," Aru groaned.

He chuckled and patted the spot next to him on the bench. "What happened?" he asked.

Aru plopped down next to him. "Aiden and I kinda fought yesterday. But I was the one who made it worse," she sighed. "He's always so chill and, like, composed, I guess. This is all my fault."

"Yes Aru, this is all your fault," Ethan stated dryly.

Aru slapped his shoulder. "Hey!" she laughed.

Ethan ran a hand through his black hair. "Are you really that concerned, though?"

"Yeah."

"I honestly don't think you should worry."

Aru looked at him skeptically. "What makes you say that?"

"He likes you."

Aru looked at him so fast, she was surprised she didn't get whiplash. "What?"

Ethan smiled at her. "He likes you, Aru. You gotta be an idiot to not see it."

She glared at him, her face hot. "Shut up. That's not true."

"I guess you're an idiot then," he grinned.

"Hey," Aru glared playfully at him. "How would you know that, um, Aiden likes me though?"

Ethan laughed and ruffled her hair. "I am all-knowing, Aru. You're staring at a certified genius right here."

She scoffed. "Yeah, right. Says the guy who's got a C in math right now."

He glared at her. "We do not speak of that," The easy smile returned to his face. "Seriously though, Aru, take my words to heart. If you're still worried, you should apologize to him. Actually, you should apologize anyway. But I hope you guys sort things out."

Aru smiled appreciatively. "Thanks Ethan. That helps."

"Nah, don't worry about it. Tell me how things go."

a/n hi guys!

again, i apologize for the late chapter

buuuuuuut, what do we think? thoughts on aiden? ethan?

also, im taking requests! if any of you want to see a oneshot, an AU, or anything aru shah related, let me know! i'll do my best to make them happen.

love y'all

-abbizzzz ❤️