soulmate au: sixteen

Aru was a huge fan of movies. Everyone acquainted with her was well aware of her obsession (as they had to deal with her constant desire to quote films).

However, Aru wasn't really one for teen romance. You would be more likely to find her laughing at a Bollywood movie than giggling at a Netflix romantic comedy. Romance in movies was just so unrealistic. You're not going to find some super hot dude and dance in the rain with him. That just didn't happen, no matter how hard you wished for it.

Despite that, Aru was starting to think that she was starring in a rom-com. Like there were cameras secretly filming her.

It would definitely explain why all these weird things seemed to be happening lately. Like yesterday at the dance studio . . .

Just thinking about it made Aru's insides go all funny.

Her and Aiden had been practicing the dance routine like they normally did after school. They'd pretty much perfected everything except the lift. The lift was tricky, mostly because your moves had to be absolutely perfect in order for it to look right. Definitely way harder than it sounds. And considering Aiden's ability to lift a human being, he dropped Aru more often than not.

That particular afternoon, Aiden had dropped Aru again. When he helped her back up, they both kinda just . . . stared at each other, no specific emotion on either of their faces. It wasn't, like, weird staring though.

Okay, now that Aru was thinking about it, it sounded kind of awkward. But it had felt magical. It'd only lasted a mere moment, but it felt like the first time Aiden actually acknowledged her appearance.

But Aru wasn't even one hundred percent sure if he had been looking at her 'cause he thought she looked okay. Knowing her luck, she'd probably had something on her face.

Sigh, why couldn't she be as pretty as Tamannaah? (a/n Tamannaah is a Bollywood actress who starred in Baahubali.)

"IT'S DRESS REHEARSAL Y'ALL!!" Coach Greg barked. "WE HAVE THREE DAYS 'TIL THIS FESTIVAL. WE BETTER HUSTLE! EVERYONE IN YOUR PLACES!!"

Aru's classmates scrambled on the grassy field, looking for their partners and getting into position.

"Hey," Aru nudged Aiden. "Please try not to drop me again."

He only grinned. "No promises."

"Aiden Acharya, I swear if you drop me in front of all these people—"

"If that happens, I'll take you to Ms. Sugar again."

"Wait, seriously?"

"Yep."

"In that case, please drop me."

He laughed.

They absolutely crushed it.

Well, obviously they did. They had practiced so much, they better be good. Aiden didn't even drop her once which, to be honest, disappointed Aru. It meant she wouldn't get her froyo.

"Let's talk a little more about the festival," Coach Greg clapped his hands once with a loud slap. "I've received a lot of questions about the dress code. It's a winter theme, so wear either white or blue, preferably light blue. Girls, please try your best to wear a dress or a skirt. Boys, try to wear a suit. I know you guys don't like dressing up, but it's only for a couple hours. I've also gotten a lot of questions about the actual festival itself. Like what games there will be or the kind of food that will be served."

He droned on for quite some time after that. Aru was definitely paying attention . . . haha.

"I hope you guys were paying attention," Coach Greg finally concluded. "Class dismissed and remember to get your outfits by tomorrow!"

One more day. One. Then it would be December 4th, The Winter Festival.

Aru had been sending nothing but panic texts to both Mini and Aiden for the past hour.

Aru: help help help help help help help help help help HELP

Mini: aru, you need to calm down. stress is not good for your health.

Aiden: lol don't worry aru. everything's gonna be fine.

Aru: HELP. idk what to wear and i have english homework due tmrw and im hungry and i don't have any swedish fish to calm me down HELP 😖

Aiden: do u want me to throw swedish fish to ur window???

Aru: u r overestimating how far u can throw.

Aiden: -_-

Aru laughed. Thank the gods for her friends. The dance didn't feel so terrifying anymore. Okay, still pretty terrifying, but just slightly less. She had a valid reason to be nervous, okay? In twenty-four hours, she would be dancing with Aiden Acharya in front of her whole school. How can you not be nervous?

She glanced at the incomplete English homework sitting on her desk. I should probably finish that . . . ugh.

a/n next chapter is the moment we've all been waiting for: FESTIVAL TIME!!

someone might even get their first kiss...

question: do you like korean barbecue? korean bbq is my soulmate ❤️

- abbizzzz ❤️