22

TW's:
-Mental abuse
-Mentions alcohol/drugs/smoking addiction (underaged)
-Thoughts of relapsing

Clay's POV

Even though everything seemed to go right now, I wasn't feeling well. I was having a lot of bad thoughts about relapsing, but I still wanted to go home for George. I had to prove myself one day, I just had to resist. I wasn't going to be helped by my parents, but I thought I was going to ask my therapist later to talk with them about their use of alcohol.

I stood here listening to George and his family and I smiled as his brother hugged me.

'I bet you're an amazing guy if George likes you, welcome to our family for whenever you're ready.'

I smiled brightly and nodded. 'I'll be good for him, I know how he feels, I experienced a lot of the same things.'

'Were you also locked in there?'

'Nah, I helped him get out of there. I'm following a traject in the rehab centre.'

'May I ask why?' his dad asked. 'You don't have to tell us, don't worry.'

'I have been really addicted to alcohol, drugs and smoking.'

'How are you now?'

'I'm clean and sober for around three months.'

'I'm so proud of you!' George's brother yelled.

'It's hard, but I'm proud too,' I whispered with a soft smile on my face.

'He really helped me get through this,' George said.

'What did he do?'

'He came to my window everyday and talked with me through his phone and we secretly met up sometimes.'

'Aww, that's cute.'

'He's a really good friend,' George said with a bright blush on his face. 'He helped me get through it.'

Everyone smiled at me and after a while George went home. I called my dad to pick me up, that was something they would do even though they didn't like me.

I had hugged George for minutes long before he went home, he gave me his number and his address and went away after I kissed his hair.

After George left I shortly talked with my therapist again, telling him honestly about my relapse thoughts. He wanted me to text him as soon as I thought about relapsing and he would tell my parents so they could bring me back.

I had waited for my dad and I stepped in the car without saying anything. He didn't say anything either and started driving. Just as I thought he wasn't going to talk anymore, he cleared his throat.

'Clay, why did you speak like this to your mum?'

'Why do you think I did that? You treat me like shit after I got addicted, you could have helped me get through this instead.'

'You choose for this yourself, Clay.'

'What did I choose for? To be an addict at my seventeenth? You think I choose for that?'

'You did, Clay. You did.'

'I didn't choose for this, I didn't at all.'

'You were the one deciding to take one more drink or to take more drugs and whatever you did.'

'I didn't choose for it, I was addicted.'

'You didn't have to get addicted in the first place.'

'Can't you just be proud that I sought help?'

'You didn't seek help, we forced you to.'

'I could have resisted.'

'You couldn't because you're underaged.'

'I'm still the same Clay, okay?'

'You're not. You're an addict.'

'Really, that's how you look at me now? I have been sober and clean for months and you are the only cause of all problems now these days. If you would have just tried helping me and throw all the alcohol away out of our house, I wouldn't be triggered to relapse.'

'You're a seventeen year old boy, you're not even supposed to be triggered by alcohol.'

'But I have been addicted so I am, why can't you just help me?'

'Because it's your fault and I want nothing to do with it.'

'But I'm your son, you're supposed to help me.'

'I don't care anymore. For my part you stay in the stupid rehab centre forever. By the way, your mum and I are leaving too. We don't want to be with you, definitely not now we got a text of your therapist that you're close to relapsing. Why do you even come back in the first place?'

'I- you are my parents and I- I thought you liked me being at home again.'

'Before you were an addict yeah. I hope you have somewhere to stay otherwise you're going to be alone the whole weekend. But since everyone left you, I don't think you will have anyone.'

'I do have someone.'

'Tell me another joke.'

'I have George.'

'Who is that?'

'My best friend. I was going on a date with him anyway, so I'll stay with him.'

'What did you just say? A date?'

'A date, you heard it correctly.'

'You're gay too? You're literally such a bad child, why do you not just go to that faggot. You're disgusting, I never want him or you over ever again. How can you like that?'

'I actually meant a friendly date, but anyway. Who cares.'

'You can't even have kids with him.'

'What the hell? We are friends, okay? Just because he's a guy and I like him AS MY FRIEND doesn't mean we are in love randomly. I can just take my friend out to surprise him after everything he went through.'

'Are you sure you haven't already done shit with people when you were drunk again?'

'You really went too far there and yes, I'm sure.'

My dad stopped the car when we arrived at home and I stepped out, locking myself in my room immediately. My mum didn't even say anything to me and I heard them slam the door shut to leave the house and me alone.

1065 words