Chapter 24

We drove the car till we reached downstairs of my house. The car headlights shone, there was a person standing below the electric pole by the roadside, he was ­reclining against the electric pole with the pose of a male lead from an idol drama, there even was a cigarette stick sandwiched between his fingers. The red beam of light glittered and gleamed.

A minor smoking, this was certainly bad, I had previously seen the warnings on some cigarette boxes in Hongkong – smoking can cause impotence! Young person don’t be impulsive, being impulsive will have its penalty.

Jungkook asked me, “Why would he be here?”

I shook my head and said, “Don’t know.”

He spoke again, “You really don’t know?”

I said, “I really don’t know, but if you carry out cruel punishment and question me under torture, I will then confess that I actually invited him over to have an affair.”

Jungkook glanced over horizontally at me, and said, “Get off the car for me and handle it well, I’ll watch you in the car.”

I said, “Why not you drive the car directly over, and crush him flat against the electric pole, I once watched a movie called ‘The electric pole has a ghost’* when I was young, it was very interesting.” 

He said, “You get off the car, I’ll hit you too, it’ll be called ‘The electric pole has a pair of ghosts’.”

Embarrassed, I got off the car. I’d only taken two steps when Taehyung dashed in front of me. He pointed at the car and interrogated, “Why are you together with him?”

I dragged out my words, saying, “Let me think – oh – if I remember correctly, he is my boyfriend.”

Taehyung stared blankly for a moment, I saw a flash of sorrow in his eyes. My heart softened a little, I shouldn’t have made a judgement that his feelings were just a joke because he was young. When I liked Jungkook back in the day, I was even younger than he was.

I aimed a quick look at the cigarette in his hand, my tone of voice softened considerably, “Smoking is bad for your body.”

He threw the cigarette down and used his foot to step on it and put it out. “I’ll quit smoking, can you……”

“I can’t,” I rushed to speak, “Don’t be like this, I don’t like you.”

He rubbed his nose, “But I really do like you very much.”

I nodded my head, “Mm, I know.”

He said, “I will never like someone else like how I like you again.”

No, you will.

I attempted to relieve the atmosphere, “Hey, don’t be like this, wait till you take a fancy to a 15-year-old beautiful lady, you will then doubt your current taste.”

Silent, he slowly squatted down, lowered his head and hugged his knees. I stared blankly for a moment, turned my head back to look at Jungkook’s car, then turned back again and lowered my head to look at him, at a loss of what to do. “What happened to you?”

I didn’t get a reply for a long time, I could only squat down too, and pat his shoulder, “What happened? Where are you not feeling well?”

His muffled voice travelled over, “I’m fine, don’t care about me.”

I said, “Are you not feeling well somewhere, why not let Jungkook help you take a look?”

He suddenly raised his head and bellowed, “Go away, don’t bother me!”