Side story 5

Little kid Lalice had just learnt how to crawl, when Lisa decided to send her to learn the piano when she grew a little bit older. When Jungkook was small, he was forced to learn the piano and found it extremely painful, it was painful year by year, plus every New Year he was pulled out by his parents to perform, so he felt that it was enough to just let her play it casually for fun as she grew up.

It was rare that Lisa was so determined, she had even begun saving up money to buy a piano.

Jungkook expressed, before you save up money to buy a piano, shouldn’t you consider if our house can fit a piano? Lisa expressed, you clear out space in your study to place the piano!

It had just been a discussion originally, but one day Jungkook came back to find Lisa holding a measuring tape as she gestured here and there in the study, and their two desks had been moved to the door.

Jungkook tried to reason with her, for example, Lalice may not necessarily be interested in the piano, for example, Lalice is still small, there’s no need to be so anxious, for example, Lalice’s fingers were so short…… But Lisa was adamant about buying a piano!

As to why Lisa was so adamant about buying a piano for her daughter, it went back to the love-hate between her and Yeri, actually, there wasn’t any love-hate to speak of, it was just the resentment she felt towards other people’s daughters during the course of her growing up.

Back then, when they had just started primary school, she would see Yeri with a head of long straight hair sitting in front of the piano, her slender fingers flying, following the swaying motion of her body. Her hairs cut out elegant lines in the air, Lisa touched her own short hair that went down to her shoulders, and thought of what her mum said, “Learning musical instruments, too expensive! Growing out long hair, troublesome, wastes water, and wastes shampoo!” Back then, she hadn’t known what it felt like to like someone, but she had already started to learn how to hate someone, and that was because of envy.

Her musical instrument dream started from then, she would stretch a rubber band taut between two chopsticks, then nail the chopsticks on to a wooden board, and imitate what the people on television did, tilting her fingers up to form orchid fingers to play the “Chinese Zither”. Later on she also played the piano, she would draw random piano keys on her school desk, label them “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7”, and play, her little head rocking and swaying, later on her drawing ability became great, she would draw the piano keys according to the piano in the music room on her sketchbook, and even up till high school, when she had nothing to do, she would still play it for fun. 

After Jungkook listened to her story, only then did he come to a sudden epiphany, when they were small, he would often see when he looked over through the window, her sitting upright in front of her desk, her two hands, one up, one down, her head swaying back and forth, her mouth seemed to be muttering something. For a while he even felt chills running down his back, this person couldn’t possibly be doing some weird voodoo magic on him, could she?

Later on, Lisa didn’t end up buying her piano, because she recalled that Jungkook’s house had a piano that he used when he was small, and he could pass it on to his daughter. Let’s not bring up the devastating story of how little kid Lalice ended up colouring the piano keys of that piano with the colours of the rainbow later on, after all, forcing someone else to complete your own dreams does have its risks.

End