Their youth part 1

Jungkook really had no idea how he ended up being entangled with the daughter of the family across their house, that girl’s name was Lalisa. When they were kids, his only impression of her was that she has a particularly loud voice. In his house, no matter how loud he’d play the piano, it would still be overpowered by her screaming when her mother would chase her around trying to give her a beating.

Later on, when they’ve grown up quite a bit, he would very seldom hear her voice again, it was as though his world has significantly quieted down. But every now and then, he’d caught sight of her idling in their living room from his window, always watching the TV. At times, he’d even caught sight of her on the couch, and then rolling down from it from laughing too much.

In his house, there would often be an endless stream of people who would pay his dad a visit. He never really liked how those people would refer to him as ‘your son’. Such honorific made him feel that they were acting like hypocrites. 

Every time someone would visit home, he’d quickly hide in his room where he would read, write calligraphy, or sleep. In other words, he would put in his utmost effort not to produce any sort of sound that would make people notice his existence. Later on, Lisa confessed to him. He then discovered another activity when he would hide away from their guests — hide behind the curtains of his window and watch Lisa from across.

He’d watch her walk around, watch her knock over things, watch her bite her pen then lean on her desk to draw something……..If the weather was hot, he’d also catch sight of her roll over on the ground like a sausage on a barbecue grill.

It was like watching a boring mime, but life was boring for him anyway, it would be better for one to just accept being bored then.

The day following Lisa’s confession, she appeared in the alley, with a slight tremor, and a desperation to sound nonchalant in her voice, she said, “Jungkook, what a coincidence, you’re also on your way to school?”

Jungkook’s response was a blank stare, then he asked her, “What time is it?”

Lisa looked at her digital watch, as she was a person who was incompetent in reading scales, she would generally wear a digital watch which would outrightly display the digits of the time, “7 o’clock.”

He nodded his head, then muttered to himself, “I thought I was going to be late.”

Lisa flushed red with shame, she would usually arrive in class right when the bell rings.

The two of them headed to school in such a manner where one was leading, the other was following.

Lisa kept on talking long-windedly about TV dramas, manhuas, their teachers, their classmates…….basically, just doing the very essence of gossiping where the chicken feathers and garlic skins are not even spared.

Jungkook hardly processed her words, and walked forward with a wooden expression on his face.

He didn’t say anything in reply because he naturally doesn’t talk much, or perhaps he finally got to realise how Lisa’s inclination suddenly became cool, Lisa doesn’t know, Jungkook doesn’t know.

The most amazing thing about young minds is that most of the time, they also don’t know what they are thinking.

They were the first ones to arrive in their classroom, Jungkook was in-charge of the classroom keys, Lisa stood behind him as he unlocked the door. When the door was opened, Lisa was suddenly assaulted by the smell of dirt. Lisa thought that early in the morning, it turned out that the classroom smelled like the the paddy field that had just been plowed in preparation for the transplanting of the rice seedlings.