Chapter 33

The next day, in order to satisfy the good intentions of Jungkook who had, in high spirits, said that he wanted to send me to work, I had no alternative but to wake up an hour earlier than I normally did, this was the price of love.

Last night, towards the latter half of the night we kept on discussing the issue of pillows, Jungkook insisted on sleeping on my pillow, saying that the new pillow had a smell of washing powder. I proposed switching pillows with him, yet he said that this wasn’t good, it would make it seem like he wasn’t considerate of his girlfriend.

I said, you have never been considerate before, besides there aren’t outsiders here, if I don’t say and you don’t say, just be inconsiderate then.

He said, with this mouth of yours, who knows, you might go onto some forum and publish a post, or write a novel or draw a cartoon to praise me, then once the sofas and benches come and twist the forum thread, you would then begin to write boldly and with conviction ‘My Awful Boyfriend doesn’t even give me a pillow to sleep’. 

I said, it’s really unfair for you to put it this way, if I do post on a forum, write a novel or draw a cartoon, what I depend on are my two hands, it’s got nothing to do with my mouth, you can’t malign a good body organ.

Afterwards, we slept till daybreak with our two large heads crammed on one pillow. I supposed snatching pillows was a type of illness, it ought to be treated.

“Hey, I’ll buy an air conditioner and put it at your place, alright?” Jungkook suddenly said while stopping at the traffic light.

I was distracted for a moment, what a familiar phrase.

“Hey, I’ll give you a set of drawing tools, alright? Hey, I’ll give you that set of manga that you’ve wanted for a long time for your birthday, alright? Hey, I’ll treat you to a meal today, alright? Hey, I’ll place my allowance for living expenses at your end, okay……” These were all things that Jungkook had said to me during university every time he wanted to provide material assistance.

I asked him, “Is ‘alright?’ a fixed sentence pattern of yours?”

He obviously didn’t get it, he thought for a long time before saying, “Back then, we had a saying, those in the arts faculty are all being kept, back then I was afraid that you would think that I was keeping you, and would think that I wasn’t respecting you enough, after that it became a habit.” 

I was silent for a very long time, finally I really couldn’t help but say, “How are you respecting me……”

“Why?”

“Keeping me is only worth a set of drawing tools, a set of manga and what not, it should at least be a diamond as big as my fist.”

Jungkook’s complexion suddenly darkened, it felt like our friendly conversation had inexplicably broken down.

When the car had arrived downstairs of our company, I asked him cautiously, “Are you being angry?”

He said, “That’s right.”

I said, “Why?”

He said, “It’s rare that I want to respect you for once, yet you’ve made it out into a joke.”

I scratched my head and asked, “Then how long are you preparing to be angry for?”

Jungkook parked the car by the side, turned around in his seat and glared at me, “Must you infuriate me to the point of death?”

“No.” I explained, “I’m afraid that if you are angry for too long, you’ll forget about buying the air conditioner for me, the weather is so hot…… Plus you love to sleep on the same pillow as me…… Or is it that even though you are being angry, there will still be an air conditioner set to my house in the afternoon? I’ll give my house keys to you?”