65

"What happened?!"

Yeonjun's breathless form appeared on the doorframe closely followed by a taller figure who was adorning a twin expression of dread and apprehension.

"We ran into Solar and she told us that Taehyung had an accident and that he was down here." Yeonjun explained and was then taken to the side by the Head Alpha, probably to explain everything they knew so far.
Jungkook had long stopped paying attention to anything beside his damp cheeks and the barely moving chest of his mate. He was starting to feel the bond more ever since his arrival but he didn't even blink at its tugging. He knew he deserved to feel it. It wasn't even a third of what his mate went through.
Jungkook was familiar with a lot of types of aches. He didn't know exactly what happened with Taehyung but he knew it was extreme enough if the alpha chose to hurt himself. It has to be mental. There's no way it was any other thing. Jungkook knew of the nightmares, the crying and what he can only assume as the harmful thoughts inhabiting his mate's head. Taehyung was never happy. It was all an illusion. He wasn't happy and Jimin's departure was the turning point. Jungkook should have known better when he stood alongside Jimin and helped him reach a decision in regards of his brother and Hoseok. He was selfish. Taehyung had shown signs of despair as soon as the blonde hinted to his departure. He could've done something at that time but chose not to, thought his presence would be an enough substitute for the beta.
He couldn't have been more wrong.

"Jungkook?"

He didn't bother turn around. Whatever they had to say wouldn't change a thing anyways.
Jungkook had seen the emotions hiding behind soft features and caring eyes. Namjoon and Jin were equally crushed. Jungkook nearly forgot that this was his Taehyung family. While he cared for the younger a tad lot, these people raised him, grew up with him and knew him more than anyone else. The look on Namjoon's face was one he never witnessed before. The usually collected, confident leader was chagrined from stoic posture down to the paleness of his face.
The consequences of Jungkook's doings outgrew his mate and reached the brunette's family.
Goddess he was such a fucking idiot.

And for the very first time in his life, Jungkook did something he never thought he would do; he walked away from the challenge.

-

"You're sure you want to go back?" Yoongi was helping the blonde beta stuffing his bag with clothes the latter not even bothering with folding them.

"I want to be there. It's been nearly month! And we didn't speak a word but now they tell me he fainted and Goddess knew what else happened to him even Jungkook doesn't know anything!" Jimin turned to face the couple with worry dancing in his pale blue eyes. "I need to be there for my best friend."

Hoseok and Yoongi threw each other a knowing look, sighing deeply. The relationship between the three wolves was amazingly developing. They had learned to communicate their wants and desires, open up about their fears and struggles and overall trying to find a common ground where neither would feel outcasted.
Jimin accepted both of them as they accepted him both and even though he was still reluctant about the marking, living with his two mates had fulfilled his body and soul with happiness and contentment.
Park Jimin felt the most complete he ever felt in his entire life.
The one little thing that was missing was his best friend. All of his attempts to communicate with the alpha were futile. Taehyung wouldn't answer his texts, wouldn't speak to him on the phone; and the worst was that no one truly knew how his best friend was.
Jungkook didn't hold back on sharing his concerns—however shallow— about his mate's situation to the blonde, and no matter how much he asked Jin, the omega was annoyingly evasive.
Something was going terribly wrong with Taehyung, and Jimin's gut told him that he needed to get to his best friend's side as soon as possible.

"We're coming with you."

Jimin's eyes widened comically as he stared at his two mates, incredulous. Hoseok sported a certain look of determination the younger hadn't seen ever since they had their first conversation about their bond. Meanwhile, Yoongi had already turned away to get what Jimin assumed were two bags to pack.
Jimin blinked, unmoving.

"You ca-"

"We want to. I need to check on my little brother as well and Hoseok wanted to visit the north ever since I told him about it. We're going tonight."

Yoongi passed one backpack to the redhead while filling his with pretty much the same things he took with him the first time.

"Hurry up, blondie. We don't have all night." The older beta grumpily added.

Hoseok came forward until he was face to face with his still disoriented mate, offering him his wide reassuring heart shaped smile.

"Jiminie, we're your mates. Wherever you go, we go. We will never leave you behind so please don't do the same with us, okay?"

Jimin nodded after a second and leaned in to plant his luscious lips on the alpha's welcoming ones.

A small cough made the couple break off before turning at the white haired wolf with amusement.

"Oh come here, Sugar!"

Just like that, the three shared small kisses, hand in hand, with Jimin tucked in the middle thanking the Moon Goddess internally for the perfect partners she gifted him.

-

"Alright... yes, of course... have a good day."
Jin sighed, shutting the phone off and turning to face his Alpha.

"Joonie," the said male turned to face his husband with a defeated expression. "Jimin is coming back. With his mates." Namjoon nodded.

"You think it's a good idea?"

Jin chanced a weary look at the state of their little alpha, heart heavy.

"Something is going terribly wrong. Jungkook is supposed to help him. He's supposed to be everything Taehyung needs. Isn't this how fated work?" Jin approached the unconscious wolf and absentmindedly ran his hand along the countless bandages.
"Jimin was the one to warn us about his state. Where was Jungkook at that time? What happened with all their lovey-dovey act of these couple of weeks?"

"I have no idea, Jinnie." The head alpha shook his head, overpowered by the nonsensical happenings. "We can't blame Jungkook. He did the best he could. I think it's time we retreat and let them part ways the way they initially wanted."

"That's it? We're giving up on him?"

"We're not. Taehyung is my brother. I will protect with my last breath. But forcing ourselves on their bond is only causing more harm."

"You think Taehyung was playing a game? With Jungkook?"

"I think," Namjoon approached his mate and observed the limp body of his younger sibling, "that Kim Taehyung is an amazing actor." The Alpha concluded. "But it costed him eventually."

-