84

Lucas and Jungkook were still in that same position when Yoongi and Hoseok entered the study of the main house. They stood in front of the desk, prompting the duo to look up at them.

"Ah Beta Min, I reviewed the documents. I think you might be right about the recruiting. The records holding the registered wolves in the south packs have been shortened. I think we can only conclude some wolves left their respective packs." Lucas declared, seemingly proud of himself for coming up with that conclusion after an entire day of research.
Jungkook perked up at the information that was just said and looked sharply from Lucas to his brother. He actually had no idea what the other beta was working on earlier.

Yoongi approached Lucas' side, overlooking the papers on the desk the black haired was pointing at while nodding accordingly.

It was decided that the members of Lupus that were now in Bangtan were to work under the protection of the latter and in collaboration with them and that meant that sharing documents and sensitive information wasn't a problem. To be fair, Jungkook knew that somehow this had to be the work of his mother and his brother convincing the Head Alpha. Of course, it wasn't easy to convince his father as he took Song's betrayal very seriously and was now very reluctant in trusting any other packs. However, Lupus has shown itself to be a valuable asset. After all, they protected his son even when they knew who he truly was and welcomed him to their family. Moreover, his Beta's mate was from Lupus as well. They were just so many variables to take into consideration. Not to mention Jungkook and Taehyung's relationship. Taehyung, who has risked his life to join his mate, and who was also the next Head Alpha of Lupus. Alpha Jeon didn't know if the Goddess intended for the fate of these two packs to be so intricately entangled, but he was going to go with it.

As the two betas discussed the possible causes of the wolves departing their packs, Hoseok approached Jungkook with a glint in his eyes.

"How're you doing JK?"

Jungkook smiled brightly at his brother figure, answering him. "I'm okay hyung. What about you?" Jungkook knew that he and Jimin practically saved his life by reaching out to Namjoon and Jin even though the circumstances were incredibly dangerous.

"Never better." He laughed a little with a wink. Hoseok was glowing compared to what Jungkook remembered from before leaving Bangtan. He knew that Jimin entering their lives has been the best thing that happened to his brother and his mate. That seemed to ease the guilt he still felt from having a hand in separating Jimin and Taehyung to begin with. He won't deny the relationship existing between his fated and the blonde beta, but he knew that it has nothing to do with Jimin's relationship with his two mates.
He didn't dwell on the implications of his own reasoning in order not to get sidetracked on that specific subject.
Unfortunately, that was exactly was Hoseok was here to talk about.

"Why don't you go see him now?"

Jungkook deflated and looked down on the desk he was sitting in front of. He doesn't know how to explain this feeling he has that seem to have an iron grip on his decision not to see mate. He doesn't even know why he keeps calling him that! They're not even mated!

"Hyung I don't know.."

"Jungkook, look at me," Hoseok sat on the desk directly next to the alpha, prompting him to pay attention to his words. "You have no idea how much he's hurting." Jungkook looked alarmed for a second then confused.

"They said he's well taken care of. That he managed to get rid of all the wolfsbane in his body-" he was cut off when Hoseok shook his head.

"I'm not talking about his physical health. He's fine. He's recovering well. He's an alpha remember?" Jungkook had the time to exhale in reassurance before the redhead sent him a pointed look. "You need to go talk to him, Jungkook. You can't keep being this way. Not with everything that awaits us ahead."

Jungkook only deflated more in resignation.

-

The walk to the clinic was long and boring. Jungkook knew the lay out of his old pack like the back of his hand, he didn't have to put any effort in where his feet carried him which, unfortunately, left plenty of other things to think about.
The boy he's going to see being one of them. Or all of them. Since Jungkook's mind seems so keen on singling out his mating situation and obsessing over it.

He was staying in the Small House next to the main one where most of the members of Lupus who came to fight were currently staying. The Small House had a large combination of rooms and bureaus for the other wolves to be comfortable and to have their own space. But they still had to mingle with Bangtan for the meals in the Main House, a clever idea from the Luna to get both the wolves acquainted and familiar with each other rather than separating them.
Now Jungkook knew that if he wanted to, he could've went back to his old room in the Main House, claimed it back and no one would bat an eyelash. Not under the circumstances they were in at least. But Jungkook also knew that he couldn't do that. That the mere thought of going back to his old room and remembering why he left to begin with.. he just couldn't deal with it yet.
Which is more reason why going to see Taehyung felt forced upon him. He just wasn't ready. But he still kept his feet moving, one after the other, through the familiar route to the clinic and get it over with.

-

Jungkook must have been really deep into his thoughts as he clashed head first with someone who was just getting out of Taehyung's supposed room.

"Jungkook!" Jimin's wide eyes widened even more at the sight of the true blood that he didn't care for the pain blooming in his forehead from bumping into Jungkook's chin hard. Then realization dawned on him and his eyes glimmered. "You're here to see him?"

Jungkook looked stunned for a moment, he didn't even see the blond that often these few days but he knew he owed it to him their rescue from Song's pack. Jimin has been a vital member of both packs in this brewing war and Jungkook was eternally grateful. He smiled briefly.

"I.. I thought I should see how he's doing." He fumbled with words, his hesitation showing for the beta to assess and understand. Which Jimin did even if what he saw only saddened him more.
He didn't forget the conversation he had with Jungkook that day when he came to visit and he found Lucas in his apartment.  It seems that even after the traumatic experience they recently shared, Jungkook's position about Taehyung hasn't changed. He still wanted out of the mate bond.

Jimin inhaled longingly, the few hours he just spent with his soulmate still fresh in his head as he weighed the situation in front of him. It's not like he can tell Jungkook to go away, the fact that the true blood was here at all was accomplishment enough. But if he can warn him..

Despite the belief that something changed under that trap door in Song's pack, despite the sheer hope that Taehyung came all the way to the south to fix things... it didn't appear to be the case at all. After Taehyung woke up in that clinic's bed once again, body weakened beyond normal and fighting to evacuate all the wolfsbane from his system, he didn't make any reaction that hinted to that situation. That hope that he didn't come here for the mate bond but the mate, shattered. Not once did he ask for Jungkook, not once did the name roll off his tongue, and not once did his eyes linger towards the door after someone came inside to hint that he was waiting for his arrival despite not inquiring about him.

Jimin waited, desperately, to see any sign from Taehyung in vain. That someone else maybe brought up his mate to him was a possibility, but Jimin never did.

And now, Jungkook was here, after nearly two weeks, and Jimin wondered what might happen if he decided to let the two of them in a room on their own.

Despite his better judgment, Jimin sighed in resignation and stepped out of the way, gesturing for the true blood to enter.

-