nights like this | shayne x reader

Summary: Courtney drags her friend Y/N to a Christmas party, where she meets a particular man who has taken quite the interest in her

It was almost impossible to ever go to a Christmas party miserable. Surely,

Y/N had tried.

She wasn't in the mood for festivities and she certainly wasn't in the mood to head out into the cold. Well as cold as LA could be in December. It certainly wasn't bikini Weather but it was still warmer than some of the states on the east coast at this time of year.

Her friend in Maine was bunkered down with a snow storm and 25 cms of fluff so she was certainly grateful for the chill breeze that Los Angeles was offering.

Try as she might, Y/N had been dragged along to her friend's Christmas party. She opted out at first, but after Courtney had heard that she was only going to be at home by herself watching Netflix? Well, Courtney had been so persuasive that Y/N found herself dressed up in a dark red sweater and black jeans, sitting on her friend's couch and sipping a cup of sparkling cider.

The Christmas music around her was booming- deck the halls glee version- echoing from every speaker that Courtney had manage to pull out of storage. Her puppy was running around and mingling much to the guests delight while the sparkling Christmas lights glittered overhead in various colours. Courtney had a lovely apartment, it smelled like cookies and was so sparkly that Y/N was sure she would probably find glitter stuck to her clothes by the end of the night.

It really was great, Y/N was just lonely. Somehow in a room full of people she had found no one to talk too. She had only been in LA for about a year and then with some restrictions, she wasn't able to head home for the holidays. It was disappointing, but in the end it was saving Y/N some money.

She tried to look at the bright side of things.

As if sensing the woman drawing in her thoughts, a voice spoke up. "Mind if I sit here?" His voice was smooth and as Y/N glanced up- she found that the man's appearance complimented that fact. His skin was pale with pink undertones and he had very angular features, his figure was well-built and his outfit was casual but still looked as though he had put in an effort. He was attractive. Y/N recognized him as Shayne Topp, one of Courtney's co-workers and best friends. S

he had seen him on many episodes of try not to laugh and a few skits here and there. The Smosh skits on the main channel weren't really her thing, but from what Y/N could recall, the man in front of her was an actor- and a funny one at that.

"No not at all!" Y/N smiled pleasantly, scooting over and allowing the man to take up some space on the couch. She made sure not to spill her drink on either of them before brushing her hair back and making an attempt at a conversation.

She had grown tired of wallowing in her own self pity all night, and she couldn't deny that the smile Shayne carried was infectious. "Taking a break from the dancing?" She asked softly.

Shayne tilted his head and glanced at her with a grin. "Yeah- how did you know?" There were a lot of people in the apartment so he was intrigued at the fact that this woman knew what he was up to. Y/N laughed softly. "Courtney is my neighbour- she dragged me over here and even tried to get me to dance with her, when I said no to the dance floor I saw her go and ask you." She smiled.

Shayne nodded his head, it was nice to see that Courtney had friends outside of work- not that he assumed otherwise. "Neighbours huh? I don't think I've ever seen you around." He hummed, taking a sip of his drink- at first glance, Y/N wasn't sure what might be in it. But a slight smell of his breath had assured her it was some alcoholic concoction.

Returning to her own cup, Y/N nodded. "Yeah I usually work night shifts at a bakery just down the street- I bake cakes and bagels, stuff like that for the next morning." She shrugged. It wasn't hard work and she loved the smell of fresh baked goods. "I'm hoping I don't have to do that for long though." She admitted. Shayne smiled, scooting closer to on the couch.

"What would you like to be doing?" He asked. He caught the way that Y/N's eyes lit up. There was a glimmer that hadn't been there before and he found himself smiling even wider- his heart going double time. "Something in law enforcement maybe? I'm taking psychology and criminal behaviour in university so I think it would be cool to apply that and help people." She mentioned. As if Shayne's wishes had been answered, he blushed. "I took psychology too- it was a really fun course.' He smiled. "So if youre taking psychology, does that mean you have a read on me?" Y/N chuckled.

He shook his head. "No... and I don't think I want to- I would much rather listen to you talk and get to know you." It was Y/N's turn to blush after his words. She couldn't fathom how this guy had been hanging out with Courtney all this time and she hadn't met him yet.

"Well... I would like to get to know you too." She told him, smiling and draping her arm over the couch so she could turn to face him completely.

It felt like they spent hours on that little couch, just talking about everything and anything. From their favourite TV shows to their biggest pet peeves, Y/N and Shayne had learned so much about each other in such a little amount of time.

"Are you heading out of here soon?" Shayne asked, noticing how a couple of people had already started to leave- Courtney's apartment starting to become vacant as the night progressed. The music had been turned down a little bit and everyone was sitting in the living room or in the kitchen, having their own conversations. Y/N shrugged. "I probably should..." she sighed. She was enjoying Shayne's company a lot and she was really happy that Courtney had dragged her over here.

Shayne gulped, standing up as he offered Y/N a hand- leading her to the balcony. "I uh- I wanted to do this inside but I think Courtney might make a scene if I do." He mentioned.

Furrowing her brows, Y/N wasn't sure what he meant. before she could ask questions, Shayne had leaned in ever so slightly and kissed her lips- it was the ghost of a kiss, barely even there but Y/N loved it nonetheless, her cheeks burned and she looked up at him with a giddy smile.

"So uh- Courtney made me go sit with you earlier... she said she got tired of me heart eyes at you." He confessed.

Y/N's heart hammered in her chest. He had been wanting to talk to her the entire night? It made her grin ever harsher and her stomach became warm. "We'll I'm glad she did... I really like talking to you." She smiled draping her arms around the back of his neck.

Shayne chuckled. "So- Does that mean I can take you out on a date?" He asked.

The woman in his arms swayed slightly to the music coming from inside. The glittering Christmas lights around them sparkled with the few snow flakes that fell around them. Y/N's eyes widened in amusement. "I would like nothing more."

Walking back inside, Courtney had a smirk on her lips as she looked at the pair, she raised her glass with a hint of subtly and winked. Shayne and Y/N exchanged numbers as he walked her across the hall to her apartment, taking their sweet time as neither of them wanted the night to end. They made plans to meet for coffee in a couple days and go from there.

As they stood outside of her door, Y/N suddenly felt an ounce of bravery, she leaned up and pressed her lips to Shayne's more intense than the last time but still soft. Her hands grasped the back of his neck to bring him closer, and his arms wrapped around her waist. Pulling away, Y/N noticed how flushed he had become. "Merry Christmas Shayne..." she spoke sweetly, ducking into her apartment.

The door closed and Shayne's heart pounded in his chest. "Merry Christmas Y/N..."