It's okay to let go.... (joe)

You never thought you would see your dad cry. Maybe at your wedding or when you had your first child but not while you were lying on a cold hospital bed with stage four lung cancer.

You had been in the hospital for about the last 3 months. After being diagnosed roughly 4 months ago the doctor said you could continue to go to school as long as you were careful.

At that time your illness wasn't as far progressed and you were a happy 15-year old.

One day around 3 and a half months ago you were at school handing out burgers at your school barbecue fundraiser.

The sun was beating down on you and your breathing was becoming laboured.

You turned to your teacher advisor to ask for some water and to take a minute because you were feeling ill, but by the time you turned around your vision had gone black and you were headed for the ground.

The students around you tried to catch you but it was too late. You were against the ground and unresponsive.

Ever since that day you have been in the hospital. Taking new medications everyday and trying the latest treatment in hopes of getting you on your feet again.

Your mom would stay with you ever minute of the day until your dad was off work and then they would switch so the other could go home and rest.

It was time for your dad to come visit you and you were excited.

You hadn't seen him since the day before and you were starting to miss him.

"Hey buggie! Guess who's here!?" Your dad smiled as he walked in the door.

"Dad! I missed you!" You smiled.

You father was happy to see you so joyful and excited that he decided to tell you some good news.

"Guess what (Y/N)? The doctor says your doing really well and that the treatments are working. You could be out of here in no time!" He said trying to keep your spirits high.

You got so excited that you started rambling and breathing heavy. Your dad tried to calm you down because you were making yourself sick but you couldn't understand. You were too excited and your mind wasn't processing the information.

You had gotten to the point where you were no longer breathing properly and loosing consciousness.

Your dad immediately took notice and started trying to calm you down even more.

"Nurse! Nurse! I need help in here!" He screamed frantically as he held your hand keeping his eyes between you and the door.

Once again you had slipped out of consciousness and your hand went limp.

The doctors rushed you into surgery and started doing whatever was possible to save you.

After many attempts they couldn't get your heart started up again to the point where you would stay alive longer than a few minutes.

You were to weak to form a sentence and keep your eyes open that the doctors had let your family members in to say their goodbyes.

Your mom and siblings had come in and left already. Leaving your dad to say his final goodbye.

"Hey bug, I know you can't open your eyes to see me, but I know you can still hear me." He said as he grabbed your hand.

"I want you to know that if you have any fight left in you that now would be the time to use it." He chuckled sadly as tears slipped from his eyes.

"But I also want you to know that if you want to, it's okay to let go. I love you so much baby girl and I don't want you to suffer anymore." His voice cracked.

You used what strength you had left to squeeze your father's hand.

"I love you daddy."

Your father snapped his head up to you and watched as tears leaked from your eyes.

Your chest rose and took its final breath and he rubbed your arm.

"I love you too."