eighteen

After Stiles and I left the lake house, Stiles drove straight towards our house. He kept drumming on the steering wheel on the ride back, tapping his fingers to the beat of the music that was silently playing in the background.

"Are you nervous?" I asked him.

"Not really," he replied. "But do you think that your Mom is going to hate me?"

"Hate you?" I shouted. "Are you for real?"

"I mean, you probably told her about Malia and-"

"She won't hate you," I interrupted him and placed a hand on his thigh. "In fact, she's very thankful for you. Because you took care of me when I was alone, you and your father."

Stiles smiled and grabbed my hand that was on his thigh, intertwining our fingers for the rest of the drive to my place. He parked the car on the street right in front of my Mom's small house and followed me up the driveway. The house was glowing in a light yellowish color, thanks to the sun setting. It looked even more like home than it did before.

I grabbed the keys and opened the front door, pulling Stiles inside with me. I could hear the music coming from the radio in the kitchen. The scent of freshly cooked food was filling our noses and I followed it to the kitchen.

Mom was standing there with her back turned towards us, chopping on some onions.

"Hey Mom," I said, getting her attention. She turned around and placed the knife down.

"Hey Berry," she replied with a smile on her lips. "Hey Stiles," she added after she saw him standing behind me. "I'm making dinner. Do you want to stay?"

"Me?" Stiles asked confused and pointed at himself.

"Yes, unless you brought some more people with you. But then I have to make some more food," Mom joked.

"Yeah, right, right," Stiles stammered. "I'd like to stay."

"Great. Amber, could you do me a favor and set the table, please?"

I nodded and told Stiles to sit down while I was setting the table for the three of us. Mom and I were chatting while she finished dinner. I was leaning against the table, with Stiles by my left side, watching us the whole time. He never said a word, which was strange for him, since he was always the one talking. But I guess, his head was somewhere else.

"Oh and by the way," I said after Mom told me about a fun situation at work. "Stiles and I stopped the dead pool."

Mom turned around, almost dropping the pan, and looked at us shocked. "Wait what?"

"We stopped the dead pool. There were those machines at Lydia's lake house. They were basically keeping the dead pool going and we stopped them. It's over now. No one's after us anymore," I explained.

Mom placed the pan on the table before he hugged me tightly. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you," I mumbled as I pulled away, heading to my seat.

"And I'm proud of you too, Stiles."

"Thank you, Mrs. Dawn."

"Oh, Stiles, you can call me Gabrielle," Mom smiled and sat down with us, grabbing Stiles' plate and filled it with food. "You've been quiet the whole time, is something on your mind?"

Stiles gulped and took his plate from her. "I'm... I don't know. I don't know how to feel, to be honest. Amber, she dreamed about this so often."

"Well, as bad as it may sound, the deal pool helped me to find her. I don't think that I would've stayed for much longer if it wasn't for her," I told them. Stiles eyes met mine for a second before he looked at his plate and I knew exactly why. "And for you of course. But you know, we weren't really that close just a few days ago."