Chapter 18

After school got let out, I headed to Grayson's house. When I pull into the driveway, there's a car other than the grey Toyota Corolla Grayson drives. A black Honda Civic.

Oh, no. Is that Grayson's mother's car? Am I meeting her for the first time? Does she know he's gay? Wait, there's a pride flag in Grayson's room. She has to know. Does she know about me and her son? Oh, God. Calm down, Reid maybe it won't be so bad. Maybe it's not his mother.

Should I text Grayson first? Maybe he forgot I was coming over and he wants me to wait until his mom leaves.

Just as my thoughts start to spiral, my phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it out to reveal Grayson's name and picture displayed on my iPhone.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Why are you just sitting in your car in my driveway? Come inside and kiss me," Grayson demands through the phone. The butterflies in my stomach wake up. I glance up and spot Grayson watching me through his living room window with the curtains drawn back.

"Well, creeper, I'm sitting in my car in your driveway because there's a car I haven't seen before at your house."

"My mom's car?"

"I figured."

"Ah," Grayson says like he just put all the pieces together. "So you're overthinking in your car right now. You don't have to worry, Reid. She's cool with us."

"Us?" My heart beat speeds up.

"Sorry," he sounds sheepish. "I tell my mom everything. Come inside."

"Uh," I hesitate. I feel nauseous. What if she doesn't like me?

"Pretty please? I really want her to meet you."

Well how can I say no to that? "Dammit, Grayson, why didn't you warn me? I could've prepared!" Nonetheless, and with a sigh, I turn off my car and step out.

"Yay!" Grayson shouts and I no longer see him in the window. "And don't worry, you look..."

He pauses as I walk up to his door. "Look what?" I say through the phone eagerly.

The line goes dead and the front door swings open. "Cute," Grayson finishes with a smirk. He looks me up and down before a seductive "Mmm," comes out of him.

I'm not too sure what he's saying "mmm" about. I'm wearing black joggers and a white t-shirt. Which he saw me wearing at school.

I roll my eyes and push past him. Seeing Grayson eases my nerves slightly but my mind is still reeling with worry.

I hear the front door shut behind me and Grayson's hand grabs mine and intertwines our fingers. "Thank you for coming inside," he gives me a genuine and stunning smile.

"Thank you for calling me cute," I return, half jokingly but with the same smile plastered on my face.

"Anytime." Grayson gives me a wink. Then I'm dragged to the kitchen.

A young looking woman in purple scrubs is focused on what looks like a recipe through a laptop screen. She has curly brown hair pulled into a messy burn with reading glasses hanging low on her nose. She's thin and short. Grayson must get his height from his father.