Chapter 35

I walk about a half mile to the nearest park and sit on a faded blue park bench with the paint chipping at the top. I drop my bag on the mulch and pull out my phone.

Grayson🥵
Today 4:12

Can you pick me up
at the Skatepark?

I text Grayson and send him my location. Not a second later, he responds.

Grayson🥵: Be there in a minute.

I sigh and feel a headache building up right behind my eyes.

And I sob. A lot. I let everything out and try my best not to let it get too out of control. My body's trembling in despair. I run my my hands down my face and flood them with tears. My nose is clogged forcing me to breathe through my mouth.

I'm thankful it's past dark and there's nobody on the playground to watch me cry pathetically in front of them.

I don't even know how much time passes, but suddenly arms are wrapping around my frail body. I cling onto the strong frame so tightly, the action causes us to fall to ground. I don't even have to open my eyes to know it's Grayson. He's the only one with that scent. The only one who holds me so delicately.

Clutching onto the back of my boyfriend's hoodie, I sob in a heavy breath, "She kicked me out! They- they hate me!"

"I'm so sorry, baby," Grayson whispers as he rubs my back with one hand while the other cradles my head. He rocks us slowly back and forth on the dirty wood chips.

"She- she- she told me," I cry harder as I choke on the next words, "that she'd love me no matter what. She lied! Why would she- why would she say tha- that if she di- didn't mean it?"

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry," Grayson murmurs to me. I can feel the empathy that was laced in his words. "You can stay with me for as long as you need," he tells me in a hushed tone.

I nod against his chest and hiccup a few times.

He softly lifts my head up and wipes my tears. "Let's get out of here," he suggests then kisses my forehead before standing us up and grabbing my duffel bag off the ground. He holds out his other hand for me to take. I intertwine our fingers and let him lead me to his car.

We drive in silence and I stare out the window, wiping my eyes every so often, until Grayson parks in his driveway. I don't make any attempts to get out and neither does Grayson.

Grayson's first to break the silence. "You don't have to, but if you wanna talk about it, I can listen."

I sigh and rub my exhausted face. "My parents found out about us." I face my boyfriend, my eyes watering again, "You were right. It wasn't just the one photo. The person took a picture of you..." my face collapses into my hands. "Of you going down on me in the backseat. They put the photo in my mailbox which my dad found," I explain in a rush, it's too humiliating. Then I look back up.

Grayson's hand is covering his partly open mouth. His blue eyes are wide. "Oh my God," Grayson's tone is a mix of disgust and shock.

"Yeah. My mom said I was sinning by being with a boy and that I'd go to Hell. So they gave me an ultimatum; break up with you or leave. I left," I tell him simply.