Chapter 40

I push Preston back and look quickly in the direction of Grayson's house. God, please tell me no one saw us. I face the boy that just kissed me. "Why- what- what- are... you? You're not...? Wha-?" I must be malfunctioning because

MY BEST FRIEND JUST KISSED ME! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

I no longer feel tipsy, in fact, I feel completely sober now. And sick to my stomach. I can feel my anxiety mutating inside me, forming a familiar and unwelcome creature.

"Uh..." he laughs nervously, scratching the back of his neck.

"Uh?!" I can't help repeat in utter apprehension. What the fuck? "Are you drunk?" I ask feeling more panicky by the second. My body wants to shut down and have a panic attack while my brain has absolutely no idea how to comprehend what's going on. I'm left in a shocked state, looking like a fish out of water.

"Um, actually I-" Preston closes his mouth. He's looking thoughtful and deep into my eyes- which are probably bug-eyed from how indistinguishably bewildered I am- then he shrugs. "I was just curious," he states like it's no big deal.

My mind goes blank and my body drains of every emotion. I blink a few time, trying to understand what this idiot just said to me. Once it finally clicks, vexed is the only emotion I now feel and understand.

My eyebrows draw together. "So you kiss me?!" I hiss. "I'm dating Grayson!"

"I know, I'm sorry!" Preston shouts in a whisper. "It didn't mean anything." He mocks a disgust face and wipes his mouth. "See, I didn't like it anyway. Just wanted to know what all the hype was about. Plus, I've been drinking all night," he laughs nervously again.

I scoff, "you're unbelievable. What if Grayson saw? Fuck." I take a deep breath and run my hands over my face before looking at him. "Thank you for my present, that was really kind of you, but next time you are curious, kiss Alex! Or watch gay porn, dumb ass."

Preston nods, "will do."

I sigh once more and take the piece of paper that Preston typed the three words into. I fold it before shoving it into my back pocket. God help me if those three words had a different connotation to Preston than to me.

But he's right, he has been drinking all night and maybe this was a drunken kiss... though he doesn't seem that drunk.

Oh God, please don't tell me my best friend has feelings for me. I am not emotionally prepared for that. "You better not say a damn word about this to anyone. That kiss? Never happened," I tell Preston firmly.

"I'm sorry," he genuinely looks regretful.

"Good," is all I say.

"I got you a case," he tells me randomly, gesturing to the trunk with his hand.

"What?"

He nods to the typewriter, "a case for the typewriter."

I see the case he's talking about behind the typewriter. The case looks just as expensive. Fuck him.

"Thank you," I sigh, and give him a small smile of my gratitude.

"Do you forgive me?"

"No," I tell him and after putting the typewriter into the case, I head back inside, not looking to see if Preston is following me.

"Hey, baby, where were you guys?" Grayson asks when I walk in. Preston did follow me and he shuts the door behind him.

I glance at Preston then back at my beautiful, stunning, angelic boyfriend who has no idea someone else's lips were on mine. And whom those 'someone else's lips' were just happens to be the boy my boyfriend doesn't get along with. Fuck.