Chapter Seventeen

"What's he doing here?" Scott asked as he came out from within the main Veterinary clinic room. Hayley, Derek, and Isaac were all stood in the waiting room with Hayley having her arms crossed and both Derek and Isaac looked kind of on edge. She personally didn't particularly care. However, since she was insistent on helping and taking part they had to let her come along since this was probably the safest thing to do. The problem was Scott didn't trust Isaac being there.

"I need him," Derek admitted. Although, what he needed him for was debatable.

"I don't trust him."

"Yeah, well, he doesn't trust you, either," Isaac scoffed and Derek rolled his eyes whilst Hayley rubbed at her forehead with her hand. Sometimes she forgot how young her brother actually was, and during times like this she remembered.

"You know what? And Derek doesn't really care."

"Hayley just wants to sit down," she cut in and Derek glanced at her before sighing turning back to look at Scott.

"Now, where's the vet? Is he gonna help us, or not?"

"That depends..." Deaton began as he stepped out from the door, and everyone turned to look at him carefully, "your friend, Jackson..." that was an odd choice of words considering none of them would really consider him a friend, "are we planning to kill him, or save him?"

Both Derek and Scott spoke at the same time, "Kill him/save him."

Both Hayley and Scott looked to Derek in warning, "save him," she pointed out her voice warning him to even try and argue with her and after a few seconds Derek sighed causing Scott to look back to Deaton.

"Save him," he confirmed.

The group moved into the back room and they were all stood around the table, except for Hayley who was sat on a stool and using Derek as a backrest. He didn't dare complain. Isaac was staring out at all of the pots of herbs that Deaton had placed onto the table.

He reached out to touch one, but Derek quickly snatched his wrist, "watch what you touch," he warned. Isaac nodded pulling his hand back.

"So, what are you, some kind of witch?"

"No. I'm a veterinarian," he said and Scott looked down a smile on his face whilst Hayley shifted her weight slightly. It was getting to the point where there was a constant discomfort. "Unfortunately, I don't see anything here that's going to be an effective defence against a paralytic toxin."

"We're open to suggestions," Derek said. He just wanted it to be over.

"What about an effective offense?" Isaac asked.

"We already tried-" Derek reminded "- I nearly took its head off, and Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up."

"What about weaknesses? Surely the universe wouldn't be so lazy as to make something with no weaknesses?" Hayley asked. Whilst she wasn't completely certain with the laws of the supernatural world, she was certain about one thing. There were laws. There always had to be a balance.

"Well, one-- it can't swim."

"Does that go for Jackson as well?"

"No. He's the captain of the swim team."

"Essentially, you're trying to catch two people-" Deaton began holding up his fingers to represent them both, "- a puppet, and a puppeteer. One killed the husband, but the other had to take care of the wife. Do we know why?"

"I don't think Jackson could do it. His mother died pregnant, too, and she was maybe murdered. I think he couldn't let the same thing happen to someone else."