Chapter Twenty-Six

Feeling the tears streaming down her cheeks, she gently rocked the child in her arms as she tried to get the baby to stop crying. Talia never stopped crying, and between the stress and the idea that Derek was dead she couldn't stop crying herself. He'd promised her that he wasn't going to die and now he was dead. How was she supposed to look after this child on her own? How was she supposed to do the werewolf training? How was she supposed to do any of it? This was more than just being a single mother this was training werewolves and raising something that was an entirely different species and she had no idea what to do. How was she supposed to do this on her own? She'd never even dreamt of having a child on her own and it was Derek in the first place who had convinced her to keep it and now... now he was gone.

She wasn't even sure if she loved this child yet, she'd read so much about how parents would look at their child and just feel this immense joy and love that couldn't be countered by anything else. Yet, when she looked at her own daughter she just felt stress and a reminder that there was no other option other than to just deal with the fact that she now had a child.

Were the blogs and books lying, or was it just her?

"Hey, hey, hey," she whispered, "do you wanna stop crying. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop crying, it's really not helping, why don't you ever stop crying?" She finally rasped out, but it didn't make a difference. "Come on, come on, come on, mommy can't do this. Mommy really had to sleep with a terrible suicidal man, didn't she?" She asked, biting down on her lips to try and prevent her cries. "Please, please, please, stop crying."

"And me, what? You think I'm weak enough to get killed?" He asked crossing his arms. She scoffed crossing her arms again both to mirror his actions in hopes of gaining a better ground, and to prove how frustrated she was with him although that much was obvious from the first moment the conversation had began.

"With that attitude I think the world's going to kill you just because it wants to!" She snapped. He rolled his eyes beginning to walk out, but she followed after him not allowing him to escape. "Hold up, I'm not done yet!"

"Well I am, you are not going. You just said that Scott might be in danger. I can't protect you and everyone else at the same time!"

"Then don't go at all!"

"I have to!"

"Derek...I'm not... I can't raise her on her own. You can't die."

"I'm not going to-"

"You might!" She cut in, all this time everyone had been acting like they were invincible. Like they were supreme gods who could defeat any challenge they faced. "Derek, if you die then what am I going to tell her? That she doesn't have a father because he failed in defeating a sixteen year old boy whom he himself turned into the monster he is, by the way? And if she's a werewolf...what am I gonna do then? How the hell am I going to do that on my own?! So I can't lose you... because she can't lose you. Not until she's at least twenty and knows what she's doing in the supernatural realm."

"Hayley, I'm not going to die."

The words seemed to mock her head now. They were such a complete joke.

Hearing the door open, her heart lurched into her throat. She was terrified of who it was or what was going to happen - was it the alpha pack? Or was it someone from their own pack? What was going to happen? She couldn't fight anyone. She couldn't defend herself or the child from anyone and now she was screwed. The supernatural all had to be so foolish and stupid. As it swung open, the fear dropped into the depths of her stomach only to see that it was Derek and another woman. He was hanging off her shoulders weakly with blood covering him and if it wasn't a child that she was crying then she probably would have dropped it - of course she definitely did not drop her daughter.