Chapter Thirty

"She's dying, isn't she?" Isaac asked, they were all staring down at the unconscious Cora who was lying in Derek's and Hayley's shared bed. Derek was sat on the chair beside her holding her hand. Hayley and Isaac were stood beside each-other whilst Peter had been lumped with holding the baby since they deemed him not doing anything of value. Although, much to all of their surprise he was having fun with his as he put it 'favourite grandniece'.

"I don't know," Derek admitted.

"So, what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know."

"Want to figure something out?" Isaac grit out, and Hayley sighed. Everyone was tense. "Because while Scott and Stiles were out there, trying to help people from being killed, you were in here, rolling around the sheets with the actual killer!"

"No, he wasn't," Hayley interrupted. She had prevented anything romantic or sexual from happening between Derek and Jennifer, "they were friends though."

"Do you get how many people she's killed? Erica and Boyd are dead. Cora is dying. And you are doing nothing!" Isaac snapped, he seemed to be getting emotional and Hayley understood. He cared for his friends and they were all dead and now Cora was dying. "Why'd you do this to us, Derek? Was it all about the power? Were you bored? Were you lonely?"

"Maybe," Derek sighed out, "I told Cora I wouldn't leave. I'll help the others when I figure out how to help her-"

"There's no time! The full moon's coming. The Sheriff and Melissa are gonna be dead, so I'm gonna try and help them. You can sit here and perfect the art of doing nothing." Isaac then stormed out of the lot and Hayley brougth her hand up to her head with a sigh.

"I wouldn't take it personally. Anger is just a tool. He's using it to excuse shifting allegiance from one Alpha to another-- from you to Scott," Peter mused.

"Scott's not an Alpha yet," Derek reminded.

"But he's on his way, isn't he?" He pointed out as he got close enough to the three, "now take your gremlin back," he ordered passing Talia to Hayley who rolled her eyes.

"You know, considering she's your favourite grandniece you don't much like her," she scoffed, and Derek began to take some of the pain away from Cora.

"Careful," Peter warned.

"Don't worry. I know going too far could kill me."

"That's not exactly what I mean..." Peter trailed off, and both Derek and Hayley looked to him confused, "I've heard it's something only Alphas can do, and with good reason..."

"Whis is?"

"You know, normal wolves never abandon an injured member of the pack. They care for it. They bring it food from a kill and then regurgitate it into the mouth of the injured wolf. They even give it physical and emotional comfort by intensely grooming it. In a way, they can do more than just ease pain-- they can be instrumental in healing their own."

"If you're trying to tell me I can save her, just tell me." Derek grit out, whilst Hayley agreed. He sure did like the sound of his own voice.

"I'm telling you... I heard it's possible."

"How?" Derek urged, wanting to know.

"It's that spark of power that makes you an Alpha. When you take her pain, she draws on the power that provides you with those special gifts: the power that heightens your senses, your strength; the power that transforms your body. As an Alpha, you have that bit of extra-- that spark intensifies the color of your eyes from a bright yellow into a searing red."