Chapter Forty-Eight

Hayley was sat on the floor with Talia, she was helping her with one of those toys where you have to put the blocks in the right holes that match their shapes. Instinctively, Talia grabbed onto the cube and brought it to her mouth and Hayley laughed quickly blocking the action.

"No, no, you can't eat that," she mused and Talia looked down at it before throwing her little hands up and down into the air as if she was trying to start a revolution over not being able to eat a cube. Gently gripping onto the tiny fist, she guided it towards the hole in the tower-like structure, "go on, put it in there...."

Feeling something be put on the table beside him, Derek turned around looking down at the guns that sat there. The smile which had wormed its way onto his face disappeared and all the light and happiness are gone. "I still don't like relying on these things," he said forcing himself to keep his attention away from the people who had become the most important to himself.

"I get it-- you miss your power. I would, too." Braeden said, the sound of a baby's laughter still echoing throughout the room.

"It's not about power, it's about being able to help. I don't like feeling helpless," he admitted and Braeden frowned as she looked to him trying to prove a point.

"I'm human... Do I look helpless?"

"You're a much better shot than me," he reminded.

"Do you really think you won't be coming back?" She asked, her voice much lower and he clenched his hands into tight fists.

"Not alive."

"You know she's not okay with that," Braeden whispered glancing over to Hayley who so far had been ignoring them the entire time.

He took in a deep breath as if trying to sigh, "I am," he admitted, "if it saves Scott and Kira." He sighed before looking down at the guns again not noticing Peter walking in through the door, "But, to be honest, I don't even know if this is enough firepower to take down one Berserker."

"Not even close," Peter said and Derek wanted to roll his eyes as he turned to look at him. Hayley too rolled her eyes although she had no idea what they were talking about as she looked up at him annoyed. Some days he was her best friend and some days she wanted to punch him. Today was a day for the latter. "Killing a Berserker is next to impossible. It's not just the firepower, it's breaking the animal spirit from the human."

"Well, the only person we know with that kind of experience is Argent, and he's not getting back to me," Derek said and Peter shrugged.

"Well, then you're going to need help... Like Malia, maybe Liam, and definitely me."

Hayley looked over to him sceptically, "since when do you care about keeping any of them alive? Have you grown a heart or are you after something?" She asked and Peter rolled his eyes as he looked over to her.

"Not that it's any of your business but can I not be concerned for my nephew's safety?"

"Hmmm...anyone else? Yes. You? No."

"We can't bring Liam. He hasn't learnt control yet. If he shifts in a car then we're screwed," Derek reminded and Peter tilted his head from side to side as if contemplating it. It was obvious he didn't care and thought that he should be going regardless even if it put their own lives in danger in the process.

"I might have an idea for that," Braeden said and everyone looked to her confused.

They were all stood in the car park below the loft. Stiles, Malia, and Liam were stood off beside the jeep and Derek and Peter were stood beside their car with Derek holding Talia. She of course was not going with them but he was saying his own form of goodbye. Hayley, on the other hand, was stood with her slippers on to the side of Derek but not that close and she was simply watching them. Like Talia, she was not going with them.