25┃burnt edges

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. The only way to turn back human is taking the cure, and last time I checked the cure is currently running through Damon and Elena's veins," Mila groaned. She moves to stand up, ready to get out of the laboratory and feel less like a magical anomaly.

Kai reaches out for her, concerned she might need help. "Actually... it does."

"What?"

"It's fair to say we used up the last of Cade's magic when we died and subconsciously summoned our own realm to work through our issues," Kai begins, and, before she can process his words, he's swept her up off the floor. "Think of it like a firework going off. We used up every spark in the explosion of our joint death. And now, the magic is just... dissolving. And Cade's magic is the reason you're a vampire."

"So, what? I'm dying again? This is getting repetitive," she says, aspirated.

Mila slumps tiredly in Kai's arms. He is holding her bridal-style with ease that comes from supernatural strength, something that is now deteriorating from Mila. She is more so exhausted mentally than physically. It seems like no matter what they are always being thrown for a loop. Moments of peace are just that — moments — before another problem or surprise arises. With the way their return to reality was going, she wouldn't be shocked if the building happened to set on fire, too.

"Calm down. I'm sure that's not what's happening. It's just any source of magic is fading from your system," Kai puts it in simple terms, hoping to erase any distress currently convulsing around in her mind.

"Why isn't any magic fading from your system, then?"

"I don't know. I feel fine. But then again, I was born a witch. And I was a vampire before I even struck a deal with Cade. And, no offense, but I'm kinda unstoppable at this point."

"This feels sexist to me." Mila scoffs. "And you can put me down. I'm feeling better. I'm okay to walk."

"Why don't you just relax and let me carry you out to the car? You're going through a very draining process and could use the rest of the day to rest while you adjust to being human again," he suggests, and finally starts heading towards the doors of the laboratory.

Mila doesn't even have within her to be embarrassed as they entered the hallway, students scattered around the grand house-turned-school. Although vastly redecorated and filled with more supernatural beings than it once was, Mila still felt a sense of safety within these walls.

She spent her teenage years running headfirst into chaos, scrambling around for a solution when odds were against them. She remembered assisting Bonnie with ingredients for her spells, being a support system for Elena whenever she was facing a difficult choice, joining Damon whenever he went off on his own in an attempt to get information, and being the only one who secretly rooted for Caroline to give Klaus a chance even though he had acted as a wrecking ball for years. Although dangerous, especially for a human, living that way was exciting, too.

Kai was just another element of that life, another obstacle that had to be faced. He was everything a villain was supposed to be, and yet, lines blurred and perspectives changed and at the end of the day, Mila no longer wanted life-threatening circumstances. Suddenly she had more to lose.

Being with Kai, head-spinning, emotionally-challenged Kai, ironically inspired her to live a life of peace. Both of them had been drenched in tragedy and loss — in different ways, but it still led to the same conclusion: that there was no hope of not suffering the consequences of being tangled in the supernatural world. Now, when she looks at this functioning school Caroline founded and the life Damon and Elena lead, she knows there is an out. They just have to find their way.