47┃a sandclock catapult

CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"YES, MOM. EVERYTHING'S fine... it's good. I've just been busy. I know I haven't been great at calling you back but with the honeymoon and work..." Mila trails off, listening to her mother rant on the other side of the line.

Her phone was nestled between her shoulder and ear so she could focus on the task of scooping the last remnants of ice cream out of the distributed cup. She continues to listen to the scolding and concerns of her mother that came when you have been ignoring your parents for over a month. Her nose crinkles, the small plastic spoon pausing on her tongue, at the mention that she had forgotten to wish her father a happy birthday.

Mila muttered another apology, withholding an aspirated sigh, while she continued her descent down the vacant street to town square, where she left her car parked. The shops were closing for the night, people retreated back to the comfort of their homes, and here she was distracting herself with a craving of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Well, it was supposed to be a pleasant distraction until her mom called and decided to talk her ear off.

"Listen, Mom. I gotta go. Yeah, I know. Okay. I promise I'll call soon, and I'll be sure to work out a visit. I'll talk to you later. I love you. Bye." Mila eased off the call, ignoring how the woman had told her to send her regards to Kai.

After her phone was slipped back in her pocket and the empty ice cream cup was thrown in a nearby trash bin, she headed towards the distant glow of the clock tower. Streetlights ebbed the lingering fear of walking alone at night, but the possibilities of running into someone dangerous was the last thing on Mila's mind. She had even slowed down her pace, in no rush to get back to her car, because she didn't really quite know where to go. She never was one to hope for a sign to guide her in the right direction, but if there was a time where she needed one, it was definitely now.

Although, now that she had no choice but to be left to her thoughts, Mila supposed that she had been granted enough signs already. The surprise of her pregnancy, Zera's arrival and the flood of past memories she brought with her... they were all big, bold letters hanging over her head. Mila believed that they were reasons to push forward, but she translated it wrong. Because she couldn't do that unless she stayed and reached a proper conclusion, a real ending no matter how much more painful it could be.

"So, you are on the right track. I'm pleased."

Mila halted at the familiar voice, almost smiling. "Wow. Couldn't even wait a day to see me again. Afraid I'll screw up my life that badly?"

"I did come to check on you, but not out of fear. Out of goodwill," Zera replied from behind her, finally getting Mila to turn around. "I'm happy you decided to stay."

Zera was still in her conjured outfit of modernized clothes and offered up an endearing grin. Out of all the people she has guided in her long lifetime, Mila was one of the few people that made her feel like she was entering a friendship. An unlikely friendship at that, but meaningful nonetheless.

"I mean, our relationship is over. It's dead. It's flatlined and... there's nothing I can do to fix it. Not really. And yet, I'm still here. Waiting. You turned me into a hopeful idiot. Or hopeless romantic? Or both? Point is, I'm ready to experience things that will inevitably make me cry myself to sleep," Mila joked, her dire words littered with a contrasting melodious tone. She almost missed the change in Zera's appearance.