21┃hello cruel world

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
(explicit content ahead again because i created pornstars ig)

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THERE WAS NOTHING TO CUSHION their fall when they were ejected from the portal and landed on the uneven, dirt-packed ground. Eyes were screwed shut and groans tumbled out of their mouths at the brutal arrival. He was on top of her, being prodded by angled limbs while she was grimacing at having to endure his full weight.

"Ugh, get off of me!" Mila shoved him and he rolls onto his back beside her, blinking up at the rocky ceiling. It didn't take him long to realize where they were.

"We're back in the underground tunnel system below the school." Kai turns his head and lifts himself up by his forearms. Dry blood stains the wall and the dirt not far from where they landed, which was visual proof of their swift and unexpected death.

"I know. I can hear everyone up above. Which means, anyone can hear us if they choose to focus enough." She grunts as she goes to stand, for once feeling the toll of escaping death.

Her body felt heavy and strained, which was unusual for a supernatural being that could heal herself. All of her vampire urges were now back and pounding against her skull, especially her bloodlust. It felt like forever since the last time she fed, but she wasn't sure how much time had passed. Her hands stopped searching her pockets for her phone when she spotted it flipped over by one of the support beams.

Behind her, Kai gets back on his feet too and dusts himself off, trying to get rid of the shock that invaded every part of him. After all, usually after interpolating a big disaster, things usually didn't go well for him. Whether it be an unforeseen decapitation or another maddening trip to a prison world, let's just say karma had its way of finding him.

"You won't believe this."

"What?" There's already so much worry in his tone.

Mila turns around, her phone in hand, and she points it towards him. The screen is cracked, but it still worked. "We've been gone three hours."

A heavy breath is exhaled through his nose, the dumbfounded look on Mila's face erasing any unease that remained. His hands that he anxiously shoved into his pockets slipped out, a fond smile twisting his lips upward. He makes his way over to her, his grin growing with every step.

"You're concerned about the time? Not about how we escaped a cruel death and unknown fate with seemingly no consequences?" Kai mused, guiding one of the hands clasping the device into his own.

"Some people have lives, Kai. We all don't get to prance around doing mishap after mishap after escaping impossible circumstances," she mutters, but when her gaze lifts off the screen and she notices how happy he is, her scowl melts away.

He raises his eyebrows at her, amused further by how she is quickly realizing how wound up she's acting. She sighs and squeezes his hand as an apology. Mila had thought that she was done living, and now that it was clear she wasn't, she didn't want to take anything for granted.

"Sorry. I feel hungover somehow and weak and... I'm late for dinner at my parents," she explains, and Kai glances over to see the missed calls and texts.

"Dinner at your parents? Awesome, let's get going!" Kai practically drags her across the floor and in the direction of the exit. "I haven't seen them in forever."