01┃homecoming

CHAPTER ONE.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

FAMILIARITY SEEPED IN THE instant Mila Ramone drove past the welcome sign of Mystic Falls, Virginia — a beacon of the supernatural and the root of all of her fond memories. It latched onto her through the drive past the still populated grounds of her old high school, the house she grew up in, and all the way through the monumental town square. Because finally, after years of avoiding to do so, she had decided to come home.

It was admittedly a rather spontaneous decision to do so. It was as if a source of the very magic her immortal being consisted of made her pack a bag, grab her keys, and head out the door. Or perhaps it wasn't magic at all; maybe it was just a girl with an unsatisfied heart, missing the place and people who shaped her into the person she is today.

Whatever the reason, Mila could feel how good it was to be here. A slight smile made her pouty lips curve up. The sun rays beaming down from a cloudless sky warmed her porcelain skin. And even chatter from the residents walking the streets, instead of being a nuisance, subtly faded into the background of her sharp hearing. She was happy — enough to believe that being here wouldn't attract the complications she very well knew were always around the corner in a place like this.

The friendly energy Mystic Falls possessed during the daytime made it feel like every other small town, and you wouldn't know it was different until night fell and the lurking horrors came out of the shadows. Once upon a time, she was unaware of the dangers, living a human life with human friends. Then, overnight, the exposure of vampires, witches, and even werewolves turned her whole uncomplicated world upside down. Now, she was even one of them.

The amplified ring of a bell reminded her she was finally at her first stop. Her eyes shifted over to see a mother and son, hand in hand, leaving through the front entrance. The mother searched for her keys in her unnecessarily large purse while the boy focused all of his attention on the red lollipop clasped between his chubby fingers. Mila's grin widened when she read the display window: Elena Salvatore M.D.

With her car not-so-flawlessly parallel-parked on the side of the street, Mila approached her lifetime friend's medical practice. She anticipated how reassuring it will feel to be graced with one of Elena's heartwarming hugs after so long.

Inside, the aroma of coffee, sterilized tools, and that overall cleanliness smell floated around in the waiting area. A few people were scattered around the room in chairs, flipping through magazines or occupying themselves with their phones.

"Hi, I was hoping to have a moment with Elena Salvatore. Is she in?" Mila greeted once she made it to the sign-in window. The employee behind the counter looked up from her romance novel and past her glasses that rested on the tip of her nose.