12┃back to you

CHAPTER TWELVE

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"ARE YOU BLIND? HE LITERALLY murdered his family. In cold blood." Caroline criticizes from across the kitchen counter, deeply concerned for the nonchalant girl who was acting like Kai's friend.

"Or deaf? The little weasel never stops talking." Damon added in from beside Caroline, taking a sip from his glass of bourbon, which he had refilled so many times she had lost count. The both of them found out that Mila had been hanging out with Kai, and needless to say, they weren't thrilled.

"She's basically Helen Keller 2.0."

The three of them were gathered in the kitchen of the Salvatore Boarding House, where she had been crashing a lot lately. Caroline had been quipping with Damon before she stopped and directed her attention towards Mila to talk. In total Caroline fashion, if she had something to say, she was going to say it, especially when it involved one of the people she cared about.

"It's nice and all that you're saying I have no common sense... or senses in general, apparently, but it's not like we're best friends or anything. I'm just not repulsed by him. He's kind of funny, actually."

"Yeah, you're right. It was hilarious when he tried to kill me. And the second time he tried. Oh yeah, and the time after that. And after that—"

"Point made, Damon." Caroline interrupted, clearly beginning to get irritated by co-hosting this intervention with him. "Anyway, all we are saying, is be careful. He's not someone you should trust. Or be alone with, for that matter."

"I understand, guys. Really. You should give me more credit. I'm smart enough not to let my guard down, especially with someone as sketchy as Kai. I don't entirely trust him and I'm not going to get attached. Promise."

"Good." Damon nods, pointing a finger at her like she was a child finally comprehending the fact it was not okay to draw on the walls. "The last thing we need is for Kai to screw us over again."

"Okay, well, I gotta go. See you guys later." She dismisses, sliding off one of the bar stools.

"Where to?" Caroline asks, uncrossing her arms as her scolding stance eased up.

"The tattoo parlor to get Kai's name tattooed on my forehead, where else?"

"Very funny!" Caroline replies, watching the girl exit the room, not surprised with the witty response she had gotten.