07┃eye of the storm

CHAPTER SEVEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE ONLY THING BETWEEN them was utter silence their entire walk back. Kai had kept his mouth shut for once, letting her to take the lead. He watched every slow, paced step she took. Because it seemed to him she wasn't just walking away, she was walking away from him, taking the steady strides you put forth in a goodbye.

He had been thinking about what exactly to say to her, what words would bring her out of the fragile state she was in. He was disappointed, too, that they didn't find anything at the waterfall or the area surrounding it, but Kai knew it rattled Mila more. It was hard for her to maintain hope during this whole complicated experience, and right now, it looked like she had lost every bit of it.

Eventually they reached the backside of the house. It was only when both of them were fully inside and Kai closed the door behind them that he decided to speak up. "We'll figure something else out."

She paused at the sound of his voice, and Kai expected her to at least acknowledge him, but she didn't. Mila continued on forward, leaving him in the empty kitchen where the weight on his chest only grew heavier. He hated seeing her like this. She didn't deserve to go through this. Really, he knew the only reason she was, was because of him.

With an uncontrollable urge to not leave her alone, fueled by the concern etched onto his every feature, he hesitantly follows her. Kai finds her in what's supposed to be a living room, standing at one of the few windows. The wispy, white curtain is pulled back by one of her hands, allowing her to stare through the glass with empty eyes at the uneventful scenery.

"Mila."

"Go away, Kai." She still doesn't bother to turn towards him.

Eyebrows furrow and he takes a tentative step forward, wondering how he could help her through this tribulation. He's at a loss for words once more, struggling himself, but he decides not to give up. So he moves forward until he's right beside her, peering over at her indifferent expression.

It's when Kai tries to touch her that Mila finally reacts, flinching away from him. Her anguished eyes settle upon his worried ones, and she lets all of the the pent up emotion flood to the surface. Her hands clench at her sides. Her eyes well up with restricted tears. But it's the grimace she holds that really influences Kai to rethink not giving her the space she obviously wanted.

"What do you think you're doing?" Mila asks as if his previous actions were the most ridiculous things he could've done.

"I-I am just trying to comfort you. I know this is hard on you."