05┃into the woods

CHAPTER FIVE

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"THIS IS POINTLESS," MILA declared, pacing back and forth along the hardwood floor. "We are getting absolutely nowhere."

"Patience is a virtue," Kai stated from where he lounged on the couch. His entire body was sprawled across the cushions, hands tucked under his head.

"How can you possibly be trying to take a nap right now?!"

"Hey, you love to take naps, too."

"Yeah, I do, when I'm not stuck in some unknown realm with my ex who isn't even trying to help find a way out."

"First of all, we already tried to follow the road. It just led us back to where we started after a while — so that's a dead end. Then we looked in just about all the houses for any sort of clues and came up with nada. Another dead end. And mind you we did all of that in what I'm guessing is a few days, which was a lot of work. So excuse me for taking a moment to rest."

"Aw. I'm sorry for being so inconsiderate. Would you like a back massage, your highness?"

"That would be great actually."

She scoffed, shaking her head, but walked over to the couch to sit for a moment. "Move over or I'll sit on you."

"Maybe I want you on top of me," He resorts with closed eyes, a cheeky smile spreading along his face.

"Maybe I can try to kill you. Again," Mila replies, eyes squinted, and she starts to shove his legs off the other side of the sofa.

"Alright. Alright. I'll move. Jeez," Kai says, retracting his feet himself; he adjusts himself so they're resting on the coffee table in front of him. "We both like it better when I'm on top, anyway."

"Like you would know what I like. I faked it more often than not."

"You did not."

Mila shrugged, picking at her nails while she rested beside him. "Guess you'll never know."

The vampire tried not to let her lips upturn when she spotted the frowning expression he held as he uncontrollably questioned himself and his capabilities. Messing with Kai was admittedly her only source of entertainment in this place. There was no TV to watch, no radio to blast music — not even any puzzles or board games stacked against the same empty shelves in every home they investigated. Every house had the same rooms, the same simple and colorless design, the same furniture placed in the exact same spot. They had only choose to settle in this one because it was near where they had awoken.

There was no sun and moon to help them track time, either. So, like Kai had mentioned, the only thing left for either of them to do was estimate, which Mila didn't bother to do because she was so focused on escaping. The task consumed her, urging her to not glance over even the littlest detail and to keep searching for anything that could answer the thousands of questions she had. Meanwhile, Kai was behaving just the opposite.