08┃heaven and hell

CHAPTER EIGHT

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

HER PHONE WAS SQUISHED between her ear and shoulder while her hands gripped the last of the grocery bags. She slowly made her way inside, attempting to listen to the voice on the other line despite the background noise of a TV sitcom and the clatter of dishes being washed.

"Whatever plans you have today, cancel them."

"Hello to you, too, Damon."

She sets the groceries down on the kitchen counter, freeing her hands so she could grip her phone properly. "I mean it. Do whatever you have to do. I need you at the house."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"Well, we're trying to send a message to Bon-Bon today."

"I know. Elena told me earlier. She didn't explain how, though."

"Kai is how."

"What?"

"Yeah, the little weasel showed up and said he wanted to help. Explained he felt obligated to since it was his fault. I wouldn't have believed him if he didn't go on and on about his feelings for an hour. Turns out merging gave him a conscious, who knew?" Damon explained to her. It reminds her of the other night when he showed up at her house, when she told him she forgave him for everything he did -- just like that.

Of course when Mila said that, she was only speaking for herself. Her friends were another story, and she knew it would take more than a heartfelt apology for them to even consider forgiving Kai for all of the madness he's caused. Which explains why he had offered to help with Bonnie, proving that he wanted to make up for everything. Mila hoped this wasn't a temporary change of heart and Kai was really trying to be better. Otherwise, the only thing she herself would be proving is that she was an idiot for believing him.

"So what's the problem?" Mila continued putting away items; her mother had joined her after finishing up the dishes."If you're getting help, then things should be moving along."

"The problem is that he's annoying. He won't shut up. Can barely focus. And since most of the nonsense coming out of his mouth is about little ol' you, I figured having you here will keep him in check."

"Kai rambles on about anything and anyone. I doubt me being there would make a difference."

"Yeah, but Kai doesn't talk about how he could look into my eyes forever and how much he wants to plant one on me. He talks that way about you. Lucky for us, I think he's got a crush on you, Mils."

"Do I sense jealousy? Do you want Kai to plant one on you?" She quotes him, lips upturned, and her mom sends her a questioning look but lets her daughter continue with her conversation.