17┃picture perfect

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE MELODIES ECHOING AROUND the clearing from nearby birds was a blissful sense of normalcy to her. If she focused enough, she could hear the flutter of their wings as they wandered about in the treetops and flew overhead. She also found herself listening to the gentle trotting of deer, the way the wind whistled when it gushed through and rattled branches up above, and, of course, the sound of Kai humming a song that was before her time.

Mila wasn't exactly sure how he had convinced her so easily to go back to the waterfall. Perhaps it was because she too wanted to get out of the confinements of the house and see all of the changes that had happened in their time here up close. Before, this world was unrecognizable to her, but now, despite how it seemed they had barely done anything, it was as if reality was in arm's reach.

"I know you're stalling, but it is nice to be outside. It looks even more beautiful than last time," Mila told him after they stopped at the water's edge, almost smiling at the sight of fish wiggling their way through the stream. The world's liveliness reminded her of how she truly felt underneath the confusion and worry: happy to still be existing, even if the reason was still undetermined.

Kai halts his humming to respond. "What makes you think that?"

"That's why we're out here, right?" She tilts her head away from the scenery to look at him, finding his eyes scanning the area like he was truly taking it all in for the first time. "Because whenever I try to pick up our conversation from yesterday you do just about anything to change the subject."

"I think I'm going to go for a swim." Kai nods to himself, letting his hand slip out of hers.

A scoff is released by her when he does exactly what she's accused him of. She watches him with crossed arms while he tugs at the back of his shirt, guiding the fabric over his head before he throws it on a nearby boulder. Despite the fact Mila was irritated and becoming more impatient by the minute, she couldn't help but marvel at how attractive he looked when he was shirtless.

His biceps bulged when Kai worked on undoing his pants, leaning over slightly for better leverage while he pushed them down his legs. The more he stripped, the more it became difficult for Mila to remember what she was talking about, her lips parting at Kai's lean yet muscular torso and its happy trail that disappeared into his underwear. It became worse when he finally turned towards her after kicking his shoes off, his cocky smirk telling her that she wasn't being subtle at all.

"You just gonna stand there and check me out or are you gonna join me?" Kai teased.

His words finally made her get a grip and gain control back over herself. Her head snapped up, eyes narrowing as she met his amused pair. "Why would I go in there? The water's probably cold. And you still haven't been answering my questions!"

"Mila, I will answer your questions and tell you everything I've been thinking after. With the way everything around here has been changing, we must be doing something right. So, that must mean we're close to getting out of here. This could potentially be our last day. I just want to enjoy it before we go back and have to deal with a million problems."

She sighed at his explanation, understanding the point he was making even though she planned on staying mad at him for a bit longer. In a child-like manner, she kicked some dirt loose with the sway of her foot, huffing. Mila wanted answers, things explained, so they could go home once and for all. Although, there were things waiting for her that weren't going to be easy to face. She would have to make difficult choices, decisions about her future and where exactly Kai fit in it.