11┃the firsts of lasts

CHAPTER ELEVEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"MILA, WAKE UP!"

This time Mila doesn't even acknowledge Kai's intrusion into her room. Instead, she pulls the covers over her head, hoping it would work to block out her ex-boyfriend as much as it did with the sunlight. When he yanked them off of her, revealing her sleepy form face-deep in a pillow, he proved that it was a useless attempt on her part.

Kai doesn't wait for her to properly react, ignoring the fact she was only in her t-shirt and underwear and pulling her out bed by her arm. Mila's eyes shoot open at the contact, nearly tripping over her own feet as she tried to find her footing on the ground. Kai didn't seem to pay attention to her knitted eyebrows or the displeased noise emitted from her, only focusing on dragging her out of the room.

"Kai! Kai, what are you doing? Where are you taking me?" Mila whined, confused by the all the urgency her hectic morning entailed.

He doesn't answer her, and soon he speeds them both down the stairs and into the kitchen. It's then that Kai finally lets her go, and Mila is still perplexed until she notices through all the commotion that Kai is wearing a white t-shirt that she's never seen on him before.

Her squinted eyes shift from him to look around the room, where she sees all the cupboards open, and instead of them being empty like they previously were before, they were now stocked. Food, pots and pans, cleaning supplies, and other typical kitchen items were neatly stored away. Mila's jaw drops in disbelief, slowly taking a few steps closer, and only finding more changes that appeared overnight.

"How — did you?" The girl attempts to question him through her astonishment.

"I don't know how. I just woke up and I looked over and the closet in my room was full of clothes. Then I went into the bathroom down the hall and there's toothbrushes on the sink, soap and shampoo in the shower, and even toilet paper on the shelf! Crazy, huh? You should see the living room. Spoiler alert: There's a chandelier."

"And the other houses?"

"Same thing. All redecorated and furnished."

"I don't understand," Mila says, spinning around to face Kai. "Forget the how. Why would this happen? We don't need human food or other human necessities to live — or not live or whatever we're doing. This whole situation is making less and less sense."

"Who knows? That's something to worry about tomorrow. You know what this means." Kai walks toward her, grinning excitedly.

"That I'm officially going insane?" She groans, burying her face in her hands.

Kai reaches over and gently tears her hands away, revealing her pout induced by all of the baffling information. "I get to cook you dinner tonight. I saw a few pretty dresses in your closet. Wear one of those."